This salad is very simple and easy to prepare, with a lot of flavour. In order to save time, you can also prepare it in advance, before going camping, and just keep it in the fridge. This will also help absorb the flavours further.
• 500g uncooked samp
• salt to taste
• 2 tomatoes, diced
• 1 purple onion, finely diced
• 30 – 45ml each fresh mint and coriander, finely chopped • 2 green peppers, diced
• ½ a cucumber, cubed
• 2 wheels of Feta, cubed
• fresh garlic (add to taste)
• fresh ginger (add to taste)
• zest of one lemon • salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Soak the samp overnight in cold water.
2. Wash it thoroughly in the morning.
3. Add a pinch of salt, cover it with boiling water, and let it simmer gently all day or until samp is soft.
4. Drain, rinse and set aside.
5. Spoon samp into a large salad or mixing bowl and leave to cool.
6. Add the salad ingredients to the cooled samp and mix through, add salad dressing of your choice and add seasoning to taste.
7. Keep refrigerated until needed and serve with additional salad dressing.
• Boil extra samp and freeze it, then defrost when you want to make this recipe to save time.
• Add leftover chicken or bacon pieces to the salad and serve as a light meal.