What you’ll need
- 1 dozen fresh figs, halved
- 6 preserved ginger pieces, minced
- a splash of brandy, rum or other alcohol of your choice
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed with the blade of a knife
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) fresh lime or lemon juice
- 4 tsp (20 ml) butter
Soak the cardamom pods and minced ginger in the alcohol and lime or lemon juice for at least 15 minutes.
Heat a grill until smoking hot. Smear the butter evenly over the figs. Place the figs on the hot grill for 2 minutes until they’re soft, but still retaining their shape.
Pour the cardamom and ginger, with liquid, over the figs. The juice will bubble wildly. Remove it at once and serve with vanilla ice cream.
This recipe appeared in the June 2013 issue.