Wood Rot and Water Ingress

Return to: Campfire Chat

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    John ParkerParticipant

My Family and Myself have enjoyed camping and caravanning ever since I can remember. We have had a huge variety of accommodation from tents, collapsible caravans, old caravans and so on.

At the end of 2015 my wife and I realised a long held dream of purchasing a brand new caravan, selecting a Sprite Swing from Natal Caravans and Marine. We paid cash and now believed that we would have a vehicle that would carry us through our retirement without major costs.

Our Swing was kept under a car port with side protection, making only about 2 trips per year from Durban to Howick (Total of about 2,000km). Recent developments and financial restrictions have resulted in our having to sell our beloved van.

Imagine our Shock when having found a buyer and carrying out detailed inspections we found water ingress had caused wood-rot and the solution would be to remove the roof completely, repair the rot and then replace the roof ensuring that sealing is carried out at a higher standard than the factory does (Repairs aprox R30k).

The agents appear to have a blasé’ perspective that it is the luck of the draw and if you were unlucky then you must just Kak n Betaal Pal. What I find even more difficult to understand is that the Caravan Fraternity in South Africa accept this as OK.

In other countries the manufacturers provide water ingress Warranty of 6 or even 10 years, so why are we South Africans prepared to accept faulty merchandise.

I would like to start a register of people who are experiencing similar poor quality issues and hopefully encourage Manufacturers and dealers to up their game or lose sales. Are there other Caravanners our there who would support this idea?

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.