Subscribe

Wash the braai grid or not?

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Francois Huysamen

We received the following letter from Peter Packham:

I have a different question for these pages. It’s something that I watch for among other caravanners, but I have not, as yet, been able to arrive at a definite conclusion. Should one wash a braai grid after use, or should it be left greasy and put away in a plastic bag until next time?

Godfrey Castle answers:
    It could depend on whether you have a stainless steel, chrome-plated or electro-galvanised braai grid. The flames and heat from on open fire will burn the plating off a mild steel braai grid, which may then rust if it does not have the protective coating that fat provides. A rust stain on you meat is not appetising or healthy.
    A stainless steel grid can be washed, for it won’t rust afterwards − and it will look good on the fire when you are with your other braaing buddies.
    With a mild steel braai grid, I would think it perfectly all right to burn off old fat residue at your next braai, and give the carbon a rub with a wire brush before placing the meat on the surface.
    And keep the grid in a thick plastic bag; one you can throw away when it becomes too dirty. In this way, the grease on the grid won’t come into contact with anything else.

• Profile Photo
    Anton Pretorius
    Anton Pretorius on

Placing a braai grid over open flames buckles the grid. I have a normal mildsteel grid that is 27yrs old and is used 2 to 3 times a month and it is as straight as the day I bought it . I never stick it on open flames .I never clean it after a braai either . When I braai again I wait till the flames are gone and the charcoal nice and white, then I put the grill on and wait 5mins before I brush it with a metal brush .No one has ever been sick after a braai with me….

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)