Subscribe

Trailer conversion

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    NEWCASTLE
    Participant

In the October 2016 edition there was a D I Y article on a tent trailer, I’m interested in doing this to my 6 foot Challenger trailer, the chap who done the project used 38 x 38 steel square tubing, my question is why steel and not aluminium.Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• Profile Photo
    Erik
    Erik on

Hi, I did that conversion. I fully understand that aluminium would be much lighter, however the main reason is that I know how to work with steel, so familiarity was the major reason. I have no experience in working with aluminium at all. At least I am convinced that the frame is sturdy enough to hold the 95kg tent on top, in addition to the 2 adults sleeping on it.

Profile Photo
    Tinyhutcamper
    Tinyhutcamper on

Hi, did you finish your project

Profile Photo
    Clarence
    Clarence on

Have a look at the ‘Connect-it’ range of fittings for Aluminium or Steel tubes. It comes in sizes for 19mm, 25mm & 38mm square tube. All you need is a drill and a saw to make a frame. On their website is an example of someone who did a DIY caravan using these fittings. See https://www.connect-it.cc/

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)