Subscribe

Trailer conversion

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    NEWCASTLE
    Participant

In the October 2016 edition there was a D I Y article on a tent trailer, I’m interested in doing this to my 6 foot Challenger trailer, the chap who done the project used 38 x 38 steel square tubing, my question is why steel and not aluminium.Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• Profile Photo
    Erik
    Erik on

Hi, I did that conversion. I fully understand that aluminium would be much lighter, however the main reason is that I know how to work with steel, so familiarity was the major reason. I have no experience in working with aluminium at all. At least I am convinced that the frame is sturdy enough to hold the 95kg tent on top, in addition to the 2 adults sleeping on it.

Profile Photo
    Tinyhutcamper
    Tinyhutcamper on

Hi, did you finish your project

Profile Photo
    Clarence
    Clarence on

Have a look at the ‘Connect-it’ range of fittings for Aluminium or Steel tubes. It comes in sizes for 19mm, 25mm & 38mm square tube. All you need is a drill and a saw to make a frame. On their website is an example of someone who did a DIY caravan using these fittings. See https://www.connect-it.cc/

Profile Photo
    Topolcanec
    Topolcanec on

I have made Aluminium box and compartments with slides and top tent.

The original trailer is Venter Quad bike. If you make such structure from steel you will be over the GVM before any of your camping load. You are welcome to look at it.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)