Subscribe
Register | Log in

Towing a Gypsy Romany

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Angus BarnardParticipant

I am at present towing a 1999 Gypsy Romany caravan with my 2005 X-trail 2.5 litre. A caravanning friend passed away and I have been offered his vehicle, which is a 2010 Subaru 2.5 litre automatic with 40 000km on the clock. The condition of the vehicle is excellent. The car will be used to tow the caravan as my X-Trail has close to 190 000km on the clock. I would appreciate your comments on the Subaru as a towing vehicle.

• Profile Photo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN on

Much of a muchness, really; but, considering the age of the vehicles, it may be an opportunity to upgrade to the newer Subaru if the price is right.

But before you do, a Subaru owner on my staff tells me that the engines require more frequent oil changes; arguably a good policy, as this is the lifeblood of an engine, but also an added expense.

When the cam belt needs to be changed, the engine has to be removed from the vehicle, so this service can be expensive too.

You might also check the tyres. If it is fitted with Yokohama Geolanders, these were available only from Subaru at one time, but availability may have changed in more recent times.

If you are travelling the country, it will be easier to find a Nissan agent than a Subaru one.

Finally, both vehicles have been Towcar winners in Europe at one time or another.

– Godfrey Castle

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader