Subscribe

Thoughts on Medolino Caravan Park?

Return to: Destinations & Routes

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Quiksilver
    Participant

HI Guys,

Has anyone been to Medolino caravan Park recently?

i believe it has been around since forever in Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape. and i have visited there numerous times between 2010 and 2014.

Though sadly i heard that in 2015 they did experience a horrific flood which pretty much washed the landscape clean 🙁 i knew the owner at the time – Dereck which pretty much ran the whole park including the chalets himself. he was a real salt-of-the-earth type of guy.

Sadly after hearing of his passing in 2015, i hear via the camping grapevine that his wife Anita has now taken over the park.

i am told she’s done more than a marvelous job and the park itself has been thriving with new life yet again. i was wondering if anyone here has returned there recently for a quick report back?

i am busy planning a tour up country from the Western Cape and was wondering if there were any Kings rugby supporters that could advise me if it really has been resorted back to its full glory?

i wasn’t planning on stopping in at Port Alfred on my way to Dolphin Holiday resort, then again….luckily i am a caravaner and can go wherever i want. haha

Does anyone have any contact details for them? or information to its current state?

it would be very much appreciated if i could get some honest feedback from out there.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Squeeky
    Squeeky on

hi Quicksilver.

just saw your post now. i haven’t been there yet. as you can imagine its quite a far way from the NCape.

i did however manage to find the details for you. here is their website:

https://www.medolinocaravanpark.co.za/

im also very curios to know if its a great park. you can never have enough information on the great parks of SA.

perhaps if the forum moderator is here they can put it into their outdoors guide?

😀

Profile Photo
    Lindley Bowles
    Lindley Bowles on

Hi Quicksilver. Did you go visit Medolino? How was it? Maybe share some of your impressions with us?

Profile Photo
    Quiksilver
    Quiksilver on

Hi Lindey,

It was actually fantastic! my only wish is that we could have stayed there longer! 2 days was most definitely too short.

Anita has taken over from Dereck, and is doing a fantastic job on her own. the park was well maintained and very quiet. just how we like it 😉   The bird life is still very active and we saw some very unique looking birds. great wildlife spot!

oh! and the ducks aren’t shy about asking for bread either! haha.

A very well done to Anita, to run her park as well as this after taking over from Dereck.

we will be back there in April for sure 😉 hopefully for a full week of relaxation and peacefulness!

Profile Photo
    Lindley Bowles
    Lindley Bowles on

Thanx for the feedback. I will definitely add it to my list of camps to visit.

Profile Photo
    Quiksilver
    Quiksilver on

i sure have Lindey!

it was my wife who suggested Medolino after seeing it in their monthly caravan magazine which then got passed onto a friend because he was looking at motorhome models.

They also produce an annual magazine called the Great Outdoor Guide, which i find is VERY useful for a list of great caravan parks to visit.

They have many recommended resorts in there and we have yet to be dissapointed!

Obviously we read the reviews of each park before inquiring. some campers like to travel in groups of 3 or 4 whereby touring is more of a social event with music drinks and parties. obviously we’re more of the quiet nature types looking to beat the hustle and bustle of city life. needless to say we enjoy peace and quiet….and nature. 🙂

What other resorts do you have on your recommended list? i am keen to know?

Profile Photo
    Lindley Bowles
    Lindley Bowles on

We have a list of resorts that we have rated ourselves and have nothing to do with resorts that have been rated in any magazine or on line article. Please remember that each persons criteria is different from the next persons, so what pleases us might not have the same result for the next couple.

In no particular order, these are the resorts we have rated good and where we will frequent on a regular basis. these are also very close to PE and do not include the resorts further away.

Gamtoos Ferry, Stormsriver, Sleepy Hollow, Sitrusoewe, Kudu Kaya, Big Fish, Brakkenduine, Geelkrans, VanStadens Mouth and Doodsklip.

Profile Photo
    Quiksilver
    Quiksilver on

oh yes!

Gamtoos, Van Stadens and Kudu Kaya are GREAT!!! i agree!!

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)