Subscribe

Tent Trailor vs Small Caravan

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Kevin Brassel
    Participant

My wife and I are planning to travel SA over a number of Months but we do not want to break the bank as we plan to still be around for some time.   We have homed in on the Sherpa caravan, and the Skipper Oyster tent trailer. We have listed pros and cons to both of these options but we would love to hear from users of these two campers.  Love to also hear what you would advise in terms of Towing vehicles that are economical to run. Manual vs automatic Transmissions. I have not read much on how monkeys may be a problem and if so how have you kept them out of the tents you have attached.

• Profile Photo
    John Wewege
    John Wewege on

I am looking forward to the replies, as I am also interested in purchasing a new or used Skipper Oyster or Sherpa. What are the pros and cons which you have identified?

Profile Photo
    Hettasch
    Hettasch on

We are in the same boat, so to speak. Have done a lot of research in the past two to three weeks and visited Sherpa and were also demonstrated a Skipper Oyster. Have decided to order the Oyster. If you compare apples with apples the Oyster is quite a bit cheaper. The waiting period for the Oyster is about 6 months, whilst for the Sherpa about 3 months. But we’ll wait! In the meantime we’ll still camp in our tent.

Profile Photo
    John Wewege
    John Wewege on

Thanks for the feedback and please keep me updated on your travels and experiences with the Oyster. We are going down to Umhlanga in February `18 and will visiting Skippertrailers to check out the various models. In the meantime, we will have a look at the Sherpa (new/used), Gypsy Lite (new/used) and Camper GT trailer tent.

Profile Photo
    Dave Allen
    Dave Allen on

Good day all

We manufacture compact caravans, 2 sleeper, very light and can be towed by any vehicle on the road, set up in less than 2 minutes, under 50k, if you would like more details and photos, please do not hesitate to contact me at: dave@msfsteel.co.za, have a great day

Profile Photo
    Dave Pineo
    Dave Pineo on

We use a Sherpa Tiny Rough Roader caravan in Namibia  (with modifications such as aluminium burglar bars to all windows for monkeys and theft) and travel all over the gravel roads here using my Land Cruiser 76 as the tow vehicle. Although small and light would still recommend fitting a power mover for moving around in tight areas. Can contact me at email davepineo52@gmail.com in Windhoek

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)