Subscribe
Register | Log in

Seeking advice before purchasing a caravan

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Fatima LeitaoParticipant

I need a little(or much) advice before a buy a caravan. I am looking for a pre-owned caravan that I will be able to tow with my Fortuner 2.8 4×2 It needs to have movers, sleep 4 and easy to manage as I am alone and very short (1.54m).

I have never owned a caravan before so I am clueless with handling, storage and deciding on one!

Is there anyone who can assist this clueless individual?

• Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Hi Fatima

You can help yourself greatly by buying a caravan magazine that has the weights of the various models listed and the max weight rule that applies to your vehicle. A very simple regulation.

Once you have rhe permissible caravan models listed you can determine which size and layout suits you.

There’s rather a dearth of caravans for sale right now so you might have to look further afield than you would like.

You should definitely have an experienced person to inspect before you buy because caravans can and do rot and tents deteriorate quickly as well.

You can have movers fitted after you buy your van at a cost of about R14000 depending on who does the fitting.  If you only look at vans with movers already fitted you will limit your options severely.

Profile Photo
    DominicCatterall
    DominicCatterall on

Hi Fatima,
    Since you are in the market for a 4 berth that would most likely put the van at over 750kg tare which would require a EB licence. If you have one then you sorted. Your vehicle tare can easily handle well over a ton and there are plenty vans in that range to choose from. Dealer 2nd hands are always the best to go for as they check everything like woodrot etc. Maybe get some advise from a dealer before making a decision.
    Regards
    Dominic

Profile Photo
    Pierre Lieb
    Pierre Lieb on

Hi Fatima

If you are going for the Tarr road options, I would recommend a Jurgens Fleetline as it tows easy, sleeps 4 and is easy to handle.  I would go for the 2010 tot 2014 Models.

Having ample space / storage and if you travel alone, the dinette in the front is nice to have as it is spacious to accommodate visitors to eat inside as well

Happy hunting.

Pierre

Profile Photo
    Barlo Bam
    Barlo Bam on

Hi Fatima,

I will advise you speak with several dealers and ask them questions about it. They know bwst about it because we can only give you advise here  based on the one we have used or we are using. We may not be able to suggest many options to you like dealer will do.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This website uses cookies and other data to function optimally see our privacy policy here

preloader