Subscribe
Register | Log in

Restoring a Raven from 1962

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew PatersonParticipant

raven.jpg
    My late dad, Bill Paterson, bought a Safari ‘Raven’ caravan new in 1962 for the princely sum of R1 162. It’s been in our family ever since, having taken us to many wonderful places before it was retired to become a storeroom.

Okay, he had a few extras fitted, such as an awning for R80, a fire extinguisher for R3.10, and a towbar for R9!

We have all the original receipts, licence papers… even the weighbridge certificate which shows a tare of 1 950kg.

I’d like to haul it out into the sunshine again, to renovate it and perhaps use it for accommodation while living my dream job as a professional wildlife guide.

I’d like to get back onto the road; think it’s worth restoring?

• Profile Photo
    ADMIN
    ADMIN on

Definitely! We have far too few examples of yesteryear’s caravans on our roads, and the very nature of its construction makes it a restorer’s dream. Start by removing the corner exterior aluminium rope extrusion and the aluminium exterior walls to get to the frame underneath; it’s easier than you think.

Give us a progress report of how you are getting on. Lovely project!

– Godfrey Castle

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader