Replacing the ALKO rubber boot

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    jbfc
    Participant

Alko coupler

Sometimes you need to have a little faith. I was dreading replacing the boot on my Jurgens Exclusive. I had a Jurgens Penta and a few years ago and I dismantle the whole coupler to replace this boot. Before you start laughing I used the opportunity to service the whole coupler and repaint the A-frame. But it was a whole days work. Now back to what I did this weekend. You would not believe how easy this was:

1. Fist remove the old rubber-boot. A knife or scissor will do it – just cut it off.

2. Remove the nut you see in the picture and pull the bolt out the other side. The bolt is attached to a galvanised clip that prevent you from pulling the handle up unless you press the top of the clip. There is a steel pin with a spring in the hole where the pin pushes in, below this clip. Be careful when you remove the bolt with the clip because the pin and spring can fall out. This spring is prone to rust so clean out the hole, clean the spring and put a lot of grease that hole when replacing everything.

3. After removing the bolt pull the handle up. It should come off without much effort. When you remove the handle the tow-ball securing pin about 2 cm diameter will fall out underneath. This pin has a groove with a spring inside also well greased.

4. Now clean all the old grease off. Clean the coupler shaft and re-grease it. Put a thin layer of grease over the coupler “head”.

5. Put the new boot in boiling water – not hot water but boiling water.

6. Put on gloves so you don’t burn yourself when touching the the hot boot.

7. Make sure you have the boot the right way around. Push it over the greased coupler “head” – Yes have some faith it slide over quite easily – it stretches without tearing when its hot. The boot fit in a groove on both sides.

8. Now put everything back together in reverse order as you dismantle it.

The whole process took me less than an hour

Good luck

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.