Subscribe

Replacing Hercules 20 inverter

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Deon Pheiffer
    Participant

I want to update this inverter to a full sine wave inverter, using 2 x 12v batteries and solar charging panels. I am not sure to mount the solar panels on top of the caravan, or on top of my single cab bakkie canopy (which I always use to tow the caravan). So many questions: Do I purchase deep cycle batteries, or high cycle batteries or semi deep cycle batteries, or will “normal” car batteries do? What capacity must the inverter be – I think 900W will be quite sufficient? What is a good brand that will last even when used in this gravel road caravan?

Then I must also fit a DC to DC charger to the bakkie – one that is intelligent enough to know which power source (alternator or solar panels) to use whilst travelling, and should it also be 24v?

Has anybody ever done this?

Thanks

Attachments:
  • Profile Photo
    Gerard Nortier
    Gerard Nortier on

Are you sure your Hercules 20 is an inverter?

I had one in my Jurgens XT140 but it was only a charger.

Solar panels on the roof are only good if you never park in the shade. Also you cannot angle the panels to follow the sun throughout the day.

Deep cycle batteries are necessary because the discharge does not damage the batteries very much. Running your fridge for 24 hours will discharge a car battery to the point of damage (if there is no sun to recharge).

Why do you need an inverter? Hopefully not for extended use. The efficiency is low and will drain your batteries quickly.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)