Subscribe
Register | Log in

Repairs to Corrosion of Aluminium Cladding – Any advice?

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Sandy ReidParticipant

We purchased our caravan from Caravan and Outdoor Centre Pinetown in November 2017 and have recently noticed an external corrosion of the aluminium cladding, which is very concerning as it is spreading and the van is relatively new (see pictures attached).

I would appreciate any advice as to the way forward.

• Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Aircraft maintenance guys use Alodine to passivate interior aluminium surfaces. But it needs to go onto bare metal. What you seem to have is corrosion undercutting the painted finish, which may be a problem.

Read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromate_conversion_coating

Profile Photo
    Quiksilver
    Quiksilver on

HI Sandy,

Are you sure that’s corrosion? Looks like a tent pole bump from what i can see?

i had to mend some aluminum roof sheeting on my caravan to the side walls some time back

while fishing out some old wood rot on my caravan.

There was an article in the magazine which i did follow. ill see if i can find it for you tonight. maybe there was good information there.

May i ask what Caravan or off-road trailer this is?  Alan from Aloe Caravans works exclusively with aluminum on his caravans if i recall. Like his peri peri model. perhaps worth getting in touch with him too?

Yes, im eager to know what manufacturers uses aluminum on side walls and what type of vehicle this picture comes from.

Fyko does have a really good observation though.

Profile Photo
    Riaan Louw
    Riaan Louw on

Hi Sandy.That is alluminium rust caused from wood rot on the inside.I had it on my van and the only way to fix it asap is to take it in to a proper caravan repare shop to take the side panel off, repare the wood on the inside an replace the outside panel with a new one.Dont wait to long.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

preloader