Subscribe

I need a rear view camera

Return to: Campfire Chat

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Clive Husband
    Participant

I am looking for a camera that i can fit on the back of my caravan and see from inside my tow vehicle – does anyone have any recommendations? I tow with a Prado and when i have the caravan mirror attached and a large truck passes from opposite direction my mirror folds closed!! Thanks Clive

• Profile Photo
    Cassie Carstens
    Cassie Carstens on

Some of the new Garmin GPS’s can acomodate a reverse camera that works wireless

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Do you want to install yourself or have it installed professionally?

Profile Photo
    Clive Husband
    Clive Husband on

If its wireless i am sure i can install it myself

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

I don’t like the wireless units. Many fail during urban driving and others just struggle to stay connected at times. I myself have a wired system and I know it works well.

What I do like about the wired systems are that they can be very compact and small…

Good luck, my preference would be a proper wired unit. Use Aux pin no. 2 on the car and van and it works a charm. No extra connections required at rear of vehicle. Looks neat and works well.

I also use the screen that clips onto the rear view mirror. 7 inch and can see properly.

Hope you find what suite you best. I have made a simple solution using the wired systems to make a neat installation on a few vans. It works and is suitable for most vehicles and caravans. Takes a bit of installation time but once set up and installed its plug and play

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

The screens work well in the car and clips onto mirror and in some cases adding a camera to vehicle is also possible especially double cabs with canopies on them…

Profile Photo
    Clive Husband
    Clive Husband on

Thanks for the feedback – i appreciate your recommendation and think i should seriously consider the wired unit.

Would you be able to fit a unit for me? If so what would it cost?

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

I would be able to yes 😉 I do it sometimes for clients. It is quite heavily booked at the moment with a lot of installations and works but if you are not in a hurry we can try and see what we can arrange. It all depends on the vehicle and caravan?

I know you have a Prado, what caravan do you have?

Profile Photo
    Clive Husband
    Clive Husband on

I have a 2016 Splash.

Might be a problem – I live in Jeffrey’s Bay. Where are you located?

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Yes I am from Pretoria 😉

Profile Photo
    Clive Husband
    Clive Husband on

That is a problem. Could you perhaps tell me what to buy and explain how i connect the camera to the car using the aux 2 on the plug then maybe i can fit it myself. Any advise would really be appreciated.

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

You will need a reverse camera or a rear view camera.

Screen

Power and video cable..

Best is then if your caravan doesnt have a battery to connect the camera power to the parklights if the caravan. The video signal directly to the pin 2 of the trailer light plug.

From the car you take the cable of the video to the screen in the car.

The screen can either work off a cigarette lighter plug in the car (easiest) or as I do it permanently wire the power to the screen wires.

The alternative is a wireless system but still a bit of work getting power to the camera and screen but there are always doubts about reliability…

Profile Photo
    Clive Husband
    Clive Husband on

Thanks for the info – i will go this route!

Profile Photo
    HAppy Camper
    HAppy Camper on

hi Gents,

Yes! i agree with EXPO camper.

in my experience i have found the wireless camera’s to be faulty at times. that is because they either work off wireless or bluetooth. searching the web i have read alot of people irate about their wireless camera’s failing when you need them the most!

wired units are always better.

i know Purple line does rear view cameras, you can chat to Peter 083 339 6773.

he has a dual camera system for just over R 4000.

the two lenses that they supply are 60 degree and 120 degree. i believe they would credit you one of the cameras if you did not need it. if for example you already had a car reverse camera.

the 60 degree lens is more like a fish eye lens. which gives you a complete field of vision BUT its very difficult to get depth perception from fish eye lenses.

its easy to toggle between the two cameras in your car from the rear view mirror clip.

definitely recommend the purple line system.

they have instruction and installation documents on their website and i know you can call Carlo 074 476 0347 if you’re having any trouble with the installation per say.

i hope that helps.

oh! if you do the installation yourself – perhaps it may be worthwhile to document your progress with pictures and words to submit as an article in the caravan magazine too.

maybe they will pay you for the story 😉 help chip away at the cost of the camera?

who knows!

Either way, id like to see when you’re finished! good luck!

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Happy Camper,

I have many pictures documented of the installations (very nicely done) but doubt of magazines will pay you anything 😉 They usually jsut want payment for any article especially when a product is involved and then the readers thinks it is journalism 😉 haha. Many articles these days are paid for to boost sales of a certain product…….

But yes, in my experience, the wired cameras work best. I have replaced wireless cameras a few times with wired systems… Just works better

Profile Photo
    Clive Husband
    Clive Husband on

Thanks for this info! I will make contact with Purple Line!

should i choose to tackle this myself i will definitely document it – it might be of assistance to other campers!.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)