Subscribe
Register | Log in

POP-TOP LIFTS WHEN TOW

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Neo KuhnParticipant

Why, when I am towing at 80-100km/h, does the roof of my Sprite Sport 1991 model lift? I have to tie it down with tiedown ratchets.

• Profile Photo
    godfrey
    godfrey on

Your letter reminds me that those horrible ‘H’ bars used to lift up the roof and hold it in place, that have already been around for more than 27 years!

Every year I see at least one pop-top caravan being towed with the roof lifting at the front. This is due to the low air pressure area (or vacuum) generated by the caravan being moved forward fast.

The problem is usually because the roof has not been correctly secured with the overlocking ‘tooth’ engaging a side bolt (see picture).

Over the years, safety straps and wing nuts have been added to prevent the ‘H’ bars from allowing the roof to lift. Straps are the sure-fire way to secure the roof.

If your caravan does not have these, you might seriously consider doing this modification.

Profile Photo
    Allan Davis
    Allan Davis on

Hi Godfrey, I just joined this forum and have the same problem, can u provide more details on the safety straps for the pop up roof.

Thanks Allan

Profile Photo
    Jacob
    Jacob on

Hi there, my co-camper I had the same problem with the Gypsy caravette 5 when I fetched it. The lock brackets where faulty and did not catch the eyes. I ended up using a rope to hold it down and took it too the people in Newcastle to be repaired and the roof was wood rot problems after that the catches worked but I installed those tentioning hooks (those with the turnbuckle in the middle) and that solved it until I gave it to my son.
    The caravan people have put in new gas struts and ever since then he has not had any problems and yes I towed the caravan every time.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

preloader