Subscribe
Register | Log in

Out of Interest

Return to: Campfire Chat

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    SuzRatParticipant

My husband and I, along with our children, LOVE to camp.

My husband and I first did our licences some 17 years ago, when were were very young and we had no intention then of towing a caravan nor would we have wanted to do our drivers test, at that point, with a caravan hooked up to the back of our vehicle. Can you just imagine our nerves! We would never have passed.

Fast forward to today where the dream of owning and camping with a caravan is all we can think about but to achieve this we would need to redo not only our drivers licenses but our learners licenses as well. This just seems like such a major undertaking that we are both completely put off.

My thinking then turns to the caravan industry as a whole I wonder how they are going to be impacted. No one from my generation or younger can legally tow a caravan unless they redo (or do for first time license applicants) their learners and drivers licenses. I cannot see too many people doing this and the knock on effect has to be that less and less caravans will be sold.

So I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about this dilemma? Or a solution to the licensing issue – maybe it is not such a mountain that I need to overcome?

• Profile Photo
    Francois Huysamen
    Francois Huysamen on

Hi Suzette,

If you and your husband did your licences 17 year ago, you should be legal to tow a caravan without having to re-take the tests!
    All licences issued prior to the year 2000 (when the change-over to the credit card system happened) were issued with a numerical coding, and 08 licences were automatically converted to EB licences.
    Just double check on your licence what Code you are registered as – if it says EB, you can tow a caravan up to 3500kg.

But your concern is valid – for those who got their driver’s licence after 2000, the process of getting an EB is a problem. Why on earth does one need to redo a learner’s licence test? It’s absolutely ridiculous.
    And yes, this does impact the industry (although caravan sales are steady year-on-year). At least you are allowed to tow up to 750kg with a normal B licence, and there are some trailers and tent trailers (and even caravans!) in this weight margin.

The solution? The legislation has to change, and that’s not an easy task!

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Anyone out there know when we can hook up and hit the road. I know there are restriction from province to province BUT are there restrictions traveling within the province where you live ?

Profile Photo
    SATRAVELER
    SATRAVELER on

As far as I know you can travel once between a municipal district and province till the 7th of May to go to your permanent residence.. But other than that the tourism industry is still closed for business until level 1.

Profile Photo
    SATRAVELER
    SATRAVELER on

So rather set up camp at home. Stay home. Stay safe.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

“In my opinion” our economy is robbed in many areas that can operate safely with proper control. Tobacco and alcohol taxes amounting to a quoted one and a half billion Rand per month in taxes to name two. Tourism all be it South Africans doing so from one town to another generates income in such towns. Caravaners are mostly caring, nature loving, healthy living outdoor people who do not overstep the social distancing without having a rule to guide them. All sectors of industry can operate with strict controls. Generating income is important to get the economy going otherwise death by hunger and violence will overtake Corona.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

preloader