Subscribe
Register | Log in

OLD TOPPIES CLUB

Return to: Campfire Chat

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    ERIC CHAPMANParticipant

13 days into lockdown! As I look longingly at my new baby,OKTO Villa no 54, parked up with nowhere to go,all plans in place but not knowing when they can be executed, our minds start to wander back to a time when we were younger, when the ability to solve problems lay squarely in our own hands,life was for the most part carefree,family and friends close.

But age creeps on, families grow into their own futures,friends remain and when you can get out there,new friends are made.

To caravaner’s, friends old and new have you ever thought of getting out there as members of an “Old Toppies Club” doing “daft things” away from the eyes of family who who would skywards at ” inappropriate” behaviour.

Caravan Parks will be struggling for some time after this Covid 19 virus has subsided and would be willing ( I think) to give exclusive use of sites to an “Old Toppies Club” for special events.

Disco’s 60’s to 70’s music – 4pm to 7pm – legs would be gone after 3 hours!

Sports days – 20 meter Egg and Spoon races,Sack races, Hopscotch, Whiskey Tasting, Cake Competitions, and any other of a myriad of stupid things we used to do,most importantly laughter and companionship.

This club would  only be open to people between 60 and 110 years.

Anybody out there who would like to share this experience, or am I just  bored,old and bonkers.

• Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

May I put this forward, in addition to this forum do we share cell numbers for whatsApp or email address to communicate ? This will provide immediate notification with what one is planning and then those who want to and can then join in on such a trip. I bought my caravan March 2019 never having owned a tow bar before so still new at it. Caravan had it’s yearly service March 2020 ready to hit the road when Corona knocked on the door. We have done up to Springbok on the one side and JHB on the other so happy wherever if the timing is right. We are happy doing solo because you meet lekker campers wherever you go. In saying this I’m sure that travelling together from time to time will be it’s own adventure.

Profile Photo
    Anonymous
    Anonymous on

Hi all my name is Gary , just purchased her when corona hit as, need loads of help and advice would love to join a club and travel ?????????????????

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Hi Gary, good advice comes from the FORUMS on the right of this page. I bought camp, travel and caravan magazines for about a year before I bought a caravan where loads of good advice is shared. Where I have probably learnt the most is on site from fellow and seasoned campers who are always ready with a helping hand and good advice. Joining a club is where you personally want to be or not to be, good for some and not for others. The only way to find out is but to try. Have FUN and may it come sooner than later. Club information in FORUMS on your right or related magazines available in bookshops and supermarkets.

Profile Photo
    Owen Ball
    Owen Ball on

It appears that our annual trip for 3 months to Rocky Bay KZN is not going to happen, our booking is going to be carried over to next year, what a pity we will have to endure the JHB winter. When the whole lock down situation is lifted we will be first in line to travel anywhere solo or with a buddying caravaner. Can’t wait!!

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Short of checking the map is Rocky Bay north or south coast ?. I know the south coast a little but not been there for many years. I would like to do the north coast one day, weather said to be good all year round the further north you go. My wife has a fear factor in travelling on KZN roads by what we see on TV.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

We are looking at short trips in the Western Cape after lock down. House on the market and when sold moving to a retirement centre. This is a perfect lockup and go abode from where we intend being on the road for most of the time. This will allow us to meet up and travel with others where ever it might be.

Profile Photo
    Owen Ball
    Owen Ball on

It is on the south coast next to Scottburgh Probably the best park on the coast

Profile Photo
    Pieter Moelich
    Pieter Moelich on

Hi Andre

The short trips in the Western Cape for starters after lock down sound to me like a good idea. Longer trips can follow later on after things get back to normal. I am still hoping to visit the KNP during middle July 2020 with my caravan.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Rocky Bay looks very nice, will ad to my list. I remember when I went to Hoggs Back, it was on my list for 10 years BUT never took it off and then finally got to go there. Would I go back, absolutely.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

July a good time to go KNP. Let’s stay positive, we’ll all get the wheels of our caravans turning and move in the directions intended.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

… actually the same was going to Sutherland which finally materialised last year after many, many years on my list.

Profile Photo
    Anonymous
    Anonymous on

Hi Old Toppie Club. You don’t have to search for your DJ to provide the music. I have all the music and equipment and would definite be onboard.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Andre, hoop jy het baie langarm musiek.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Anyone out there with information on when we can hook up and hit the road ?

Profile Photo
    Anonymous
    Anonymous on

Ek het meer as baie musiek vir dans en saam sing. Ek dink ons sal eers 1 Oktober 2020 weer op parool wees.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

This website uses cookies and other data to function optimally see our privacy policy here

preloader