Subscribe
Register | Log in

OLD TOPPIES CLUB

Return to: Campfire Chat

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    ERIC CHAPMANParticipant

13 days into lockdown! As I look longingly at my new baby,OKTO Villa no 54, parked up with nowhere to go,all plans in place but not knowing when they can be executed, our minds start to wander back to a time when we were younger, when the ability to solve problems lay squarely in our own hands,life was for the most part carefree,family and friends close.

But age creeps on, families grow into their own futures,friends remain and when you can get out there,new friends are made.

To caravaner’s, friends old and new have you ever thought of getting out there as members of an “Old Toppies Club” doing “daft things” away from the eyes of family who who would skywards at ” inappropriate” behaviour.

Caravan Parks will be struggling for some time after this Covid 19 virus has subsided and would be willing ( I think) to give exclusive use of sites to an “Old Toppies Club” for special events.

Disco’s 60’s to 70’s music – 4pm to 7pm – legs would be gone after 3 hours!

Sports days – 20 meter Egg and Spoon races,Sack races, Hopscotch, Whiskey Tasting, Cake Competitions, and any other of a myriad of stupid things we used to do,most importantly laughter and companionship.

This club would  only be open to people between 60 and 110 years.

Anybody out there who would like to share this experience, or am I just  bored,old and bonkers.

• Profile Photo
    Owen Ball
    Owen Ball on

What a wonderful idea We were members of Wits East caravan club for years, another life with the kids that were born in the caravan club are now long gone

Sll the best in Caravaning

Owen Ball

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Had my yearly caravan service done ready to hit the road when the lock down knocked on our doors !!! I live in a gated community and am tempted to have a braai next to my caravan tonight. Do think it will make me feel better ?

Profile Photo
    ERIC CHAPMAN
    ERIC CHAPMAN on

Hi Andre, No question just do it. Get the awning up as well. Klippies and Coke out, but hide the what reserves you have left from the neighbours.Me and the wife slept outside in the caravan on day 3. Should still have been at Mabalingwe. Lucky we live on a farm so could pretend. Old Toppies were born to have fun  and be rebels ( well just a little rebelling)

Profile Photo
    ERIC CHAPMAN
    ERIC CHAPMAN on

Hi Owen, Well we now have another three weeks now to think and plan. How to get more like minded souls together and choose a site. Whether to stay close to Gauteng or travel further afield. Maybe get a virtual committee together. Who’s out there that can help get this club on the road. A far more tempting exercise than washing the dishes again.

“She who must be obeyed” is calling me again!!!!!

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

I think that all caravaners/campers are like minded. After spending some 10 years with bikers being like minded, I find caravaners/campers just as like minded but with a different mode of transport. Wonderful people in both cases, who like travelling and the outdoors. About choosing a site and getting together can work but with some difficulty depending on where one lives, in my case being in Cape Town. I was however in JHB in September 2019 with my caravan and spent lekker time at Ifafi.

Profile Photo
    Dolf du Pisani
    Dolf du Pisani on

Hi Andre, I am a Capetonian as well and we were in our 3rd week of a 3 month’s camping holiday when we had to turn back. There is a lot of campsites in the Western Cape that cater for OLD TOPPIES. Sometimes  with rates cheaper than staying home. Our favorites are Dibiki at Hartenbos and Montagu Caravan Park.  We prefer to camp out of season and try to skip the busy times.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Hi Dolf, we know Dibiki well, been there a few times, last trips there were June and September 2019. November we camped at De Bakke which was also most enjoyable. Another favourite of our is Dooringlaagte outside of Montagu. September we started at Sutherland, then Orania through to JHB and back via the Garden Route, stayed at 14 camp sites, all very nice. Our thoughts for out next adventure is back on the Westcoast route visiting campsites we haven’t done.

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Dolf, would it have been a bad situation if you had continued your travel to the first campsite being there during lock down ? De Bakke advertised month stay specials just before lock down and surely that’s where one would have been stranded if one had gone there ? In hind site not a bad idea as I’m sure the same would have applied to other camp sites.

Profile Photo
    Dolf du Pisani
    Dolf du Pisani on

Hi André, we were also at  Dibiki last September. Dibiki stayed open and offered us a site till end of June. It is still open and the campers there are all healthy and in good spirit

Profile Photo
    Owen Ball
    Owen Ball on

Just had a look at the Bruder off road caravan  bruderexo.com  what an inspirational caravan.  South African caravan industry really needs to step up a gear, hell we built the most innovative military equipment in the world!!!

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

Well Dolf, myself not being good with remembering names, we might actually have had a chat of sorts or even just a greet in passing by. What was your route planned for the three month trip ?

Profile Photo
    Dolf du Pisani
    Dolf du Pisani on

Hi André, we planned to stay 2 months at Dibiki and thereafter a month at Yellow Sands. Happy camping

Profile Photo
    Andre Pieterse
    Andre Pieterse on

I have not been to Yellow Sands, photos thereof look very nice, have you been there before ?

Profile Photo
    Pieter Moelich
    Pieter Moelich on

Hi, my username is Impi and I retired about 2 years ago. I live in Western Cape Bellville and I bought my Lite Impi caravan last year and is still very new to caravan and camping. I think that the Old Toppies Club is a wonderfull idea. I really would like to tour or doing a road trip with caravan through South Africa eg Kruger National Park or ATKV resorts. Although I like to do solo caravanning , it would be wonderfull if other old toppies like me could join up and tour through SA as soon as the Virus crisis fade away. I would also prefer to camp out of season and during the week when the camping sites is not so crowded. Happy caravanning.

Profile Photo
    Rita Waring
    Rita Waring on

That sounds a great idea. Just bought the caravan and about to go on our second trip when lock down was upon us. Woe is me

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

This website uses cookies and other data to function optimally see our privacy policy here

preloader