Subscribe

Opinions on RAV4 2.2 diesel AWD as a tow vehicle

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Terry Welsh
    Participant

I’m considering the purchase of either a caravan or trailer with a GVM of 1500kg/ 1600kg.

I have a 2018 RAV4 VX 2.2 diesel AWD with the following spec.

110 kilowatt

Torque 340nm

Kerb Weight 1660kg

Based of the law i am allowed to tow a tare weight of 1660/1600kg

I am not certain if i am being overly ambitious with the expectation of the load i wish to tow. I have been told the this vehicle is really great with the torque is has but i’m unsure as to the kw ability.

Should there be any reader out there that has experience regarding the RAV’s abilities as a tow vehicle, i would be grateful to hear from them.

`

• Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Terry the problem is not power and torque, of that you have enough.

The RAV4 is a bit “light” but can tow well. Problem most people experience in a short while on the diesel Rav4 especially is the oil usage. So make sure before you tow that you have no excessive oil usage, before straining the engine a bit.

The Rav4 is also soft on rear suspension. (I have a 2017 Rav4 and a 2017 Fortuner)

From a legal side you can tow a caravan of max 1600kg loaded (GVM).. Which is basically most smaller sized up to the regions of a fleetline. I believe the actual limitation is on the RAV4 towing rating in the booklet.. I know the 2.0CVT is 1000kg (although legally I could also tow around 1600kg with it but the manufacturer limit is 1000kg so the lowest is the one to use) – Check in the booklet, there is specific trailer weight limitations and tow ball weight limitations.. I would stick to that….

The ability to tow is there… I am just not always sure on the space side (ok I have 2 kids and 3rd coming April) and how much tow ball weight you should have before it lays too low at the rear….

Good luck and hope all goes well.. I have seen Rav4’s tow a few vans.. 😉

Profile Photo
    Terry Welsh
    Terry Welsh on

Expo Camper,

Thank you for your valued comments, much appreciated.

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

😉 Enjoy the RAV4. All in all a lekker vehicle. I enjoy mine a lot even with a CVT. The Fortuner is my tow vehicle….

Profile Photo
    Ronel Mouton
    Ronel Mouton on

I tow a Caravette 4, 1994 (830+kg) with my RAV4 2.2 diesel and does not have issues. Up-hill in 4th gear when I am on speed and flats in 5th gear with speed normal at 100km/h.

The combination is very steady and even with winds or large passing trucks or me passing them, there is no problems or sway.

The 1st and 2nd gears are short and powerful and I never struggle to pull away on an up-hill stop.

I get about 8-9 km/l depending on the ups and downs of the road.

The RAV is spacious and I love the driving experience. I have power when I need it. And then there is the promise of good resale value and dependability.  I did not notice more oil use, but I have not towed long distances yet.

I did a lot of reading and looked  at the Honda CRV, Subaru Forrester, VW Tiguan and Nissan X-trail, but decided on the RAV.

Profile Photo
    Callie Theron
    Callie Theron on

Ronel if you don’t mind me asking, what year is your Rav?

Profile Photo
    Callie Theron
    Callie Theron on

Ronel… Also as a matter of interest after looking at the other vehicles how did you make you decision … I am trying to make that decision right now…

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)