Subscribe
Register | Log in

Need easy way to lift rooftop

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Johan PotgieterParticipant

I have a home build off-road caravan with an aluminum roof that need a lift system. I use to lift it from the inside with my back. But at 63 it is not possible any more. I am looking for air lift or elect linear. Need to lift ±750 mm. I install 4 x gas struts on the outside. It helps but do not lift the roof. And if I install stronger struts, it is difficult to take it down. Any suggestions please.

• Profile Photo
    LexStewart
    LexStewart on

I’m listening to suggestions as well. 🙂

Profile Photo
    Corne
    Corne on

Hi Johan

Since you built your caravan yourself maybe you can consider making air-jacks and using a 12V compressor? You need two pipes per corner, a 12V portable compressor, O-rings and tubeless tyre valves. The pipes just fit within each other, machine a grove in the male pipe for the O-ring so as to create an air-tight seal, lubricate as necessary, seal the outer end of the pipes and use a tyre valve inserted into the female pipe. You need connecting points for either end – you can work out the technicalities, just an idea!

Happy Camping!

Profile Photo
    Johan Potgieter
    Johan Potgieter on

Hi Corne, Thanks, It is worth a try .

Profile Photo
    Barry Mollett
    Barry Mollett on

Hi,

I recently bought an electric(12volt) car jack with remote cable, connecting wires etc. from Adendorf Auctioneers for about R1200.00 to make a standing capable wheelchair. (Slow but pretty powerful) Although it does not have 750mm travel, with enough power to lift a car I am sure you could fit a lever system anchored to the bottom (Trailer) on one side (Short) and then the jack also resting on the trailer and a longer side to the roof to suit required height. A small hydraulic or manual car jack would work, just more effort. As you built the trailer yourself I’m sure you can easily work out the mechanics of fulcrum and required lengths both sides.

There is a guy that fitted a windscreen wiper motor to a normal scissors jack on You tube and lifted a car with it, I just didn’t want to take a chance of failure with a wheel chair .

Profile Photo
    Johan Potgieter
    Johan Potgieter on

Thanks. You give me a nice idea to work with

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

© Caravan & Outdoor Life Magazine 2020

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader