Need easy way to lift rooftop

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Johan PotgieterParticipant

I have a home build off-road caravan with an aluminum roof that need a lift system. I use to lift it from the inside with my back. But at 63 it is not possible any more. I am looking for air lift or elect linear. Need to lift ±750 mm. I install 4 x gas struts on the outside. It helps but do not lift the roof. And if I install stronger struts, it is difficult to take it down. Any suggestions please.

• Profile Photo
    LexStewart
    LexStewart on

I’m listening to suggestions as well. 🙂

Profile Photo
    Corne
    Corne on

Hi Johan

Since you built your caravan yourself maybe you can consider making air-jacks and using a 12V compressor? You need two pipes per corner, a 12V portable compressor, O-rings and tubeless tyre valves. The pipes just fit within each other, machine a grove in the male pipe for the O-ring so as to create an air-tight seal, lubricate as necessary, seal the outer end of the pipes and use a tyre valve inserted into the female pipe. You need connecting points for either end – you can work out the technicalities, just an idea!

Happy Camping!

Profile Photo
    Johan Potgieter
    Johan Potgieter on

Hi Corne, Thanks, It is worth a try .

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

© Caravan & Outdoor Life Magazine 2019

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader