Subscribe
Register | Log in

Motorised steadies for leveling

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Dan PerkinsParticipant

I’m getting a little older an I find I longer enjoy cranking the corner steadies up and down the way I used to. And I’m sure  I’m not alone in this.

Is there anyone that produces motorised steadies or that motorises existing steadies?

I see there’s a phone app to drive them, and level the caravan at the same time, but nothing (in this country at least) to drive it with.

• Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

You cut a 50mm length of 19mm square tubing, which makes a perfect fit over the keyed end of the leadscrew, then you weld an M12 nut onto the square tubing, which fits into the 19mm AF socket of the crank.

Alternatively make a new crank and weld a piece of 19mm square tubing to the end instead of the 19mm AF socket.

Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

Do these motors have to be so expensive? Isn’t there a cheaper Chinese knock-off? It’s not like they have to work day and night, so they don’t need to be super-quality surely.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

I could find plenty of very small units costing just a few hundred rand, but nothing that could deliver more than 50W of output power, and so nothing useable. In fact Transtecno has sales outlets in China.

This was never going to be anything for the masses at large – the costs are just too high, though the installed costs for the last couple of guys worked out to R23,000 including all the electronics, which is a lot lower than we started out with.

Of the gearmotor set we use now the price of the gearbox is only one quarter of the total – a bit over R1000, so what I say to the the guys that aren’t sure they can complete the conversion is to buy only the gearbox since that is what takes all the fitting and adjusting onto the frame.

If they have to abandon the project for whatever reason their investment is limited to the cost of one gearbox, which I will in any case buy from them if it’s undamaged, since I get lots of inquiries for them. If they do get the fitting done successfully they can always go and buy a motor at R3k+ to finish the first corner. The motor mounts only onto the gearbox and needs no other engineering other than having the wires connected.

Profile Photo
    Deon Jacobs
    Deon Jacobs on

Where is a good source of these motors and gearboxes?

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Principal Power Solutions in Montague Gardens, Cape Town has the best prices that I could find.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

preloader