Subscribe

Is Jurgens on the rebound? Look at the FACTS

Return to: Industry News

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    HAppy Camper
    Participant

Hello fellow caravaners!

I recently read an article online from one of the other forum websites regarding the state of Jurgens CI, and I am lead to believe they are bouncing back?

Although I think it was a very beautifully written article, I also feel that perhaps the article creator may have been “paid” or “sponsored” to write what he did.

The reason I say this is because the sums aren’t adding up – and this is the only favourable article written about Jurgens in the last 12 months.

The short version is, basically, that all the magazines keep saying how much trouble Jurgens is in. Plus, I have also read over a few forums that things aren’t all sunshine and roses. So who am I to believe? Or who are “we” likely to believe?

The article written on the other forum suggests that Jurgens is back on its feet after a bit of a wobble and that the factory is still making caravans, with new unveiled models coming soon. I’ll believe that when I see it.

Despite my own personal view that this is complete hogwash, I am encouraging anyone else with EYEWITNESS or FIRSTHAND experience on the news about Jurgens to mention it here.

Yes, investigative journalism is interesting, and we as nosey South Africans are keen to keep up with the chatter in our industry, because after all it’s news and we need to know what our caravans will be worth in 2 years!

Personally I don’t believe everything I read on the internet these days. It’s so easy to make a post or topic about flying pigs or the DA winning the elections that it’s hard to differentiate FACT from FICTION. I mean… even when I receive and email saying I’ve won over R50 000 in the annual SARS lottery… I never believe it. Do you?

Either way, I digress.

The other forum’s owner went to the Jurgens factory, and saw some caravans. Which I am happy about – don’t get me wrong! But before I make up my mind on ever buying another NEW Jurgens product, I would first like to have answers on the following.

1. Jurgens is, was or is in the process of provisional liquidation – you can read about that on this caravan website.

2. Most, if not all the caravan dealers around the country have changed their names from Campworld to LeisureWorld. Why?

3. Clive Cox (their senior product developer) left to work for Conqueror! Fact!

4. Jurgens bought Sensation Caravans, and if you ask how long it will take to order one, you will probably never get an answer.

5. Speaking of no answer… has anyone tried to call the factory? No-one EVER answers the phone!!! I even tried again before posting this and nothing! You can give it a try yourself if you like.

6. Jurgens, I believe, owns Comet Caravans, Has anyone been to their physical dealership? I believe their doors are closed and ABSA has taken all their stock? Pay them a visit and see for yourself.

7. I don’t see any magazines publishing anything from the factory. I’m more likely to trust the words of Godfrey Castle who has been in this industry for as long as I can remember.

In fact, do yourself a favour and visit your nearest Campworld and see what their staff tell you if you wanted to order a caravan, or any replacement part for that matter.

My last point to make is new caravans on the market. OKTO, SWIFT, STEALTH, etc… and in the January edition of Caravan & Outdoor Life I see there are more new caravans being released this year.

I am of the opinion that all the other caravan manufacturers in South Africa MUST know something that we don’t!

Don’t get me wrong. I would like nothing more than for Jurgens to make a thrilling comeback such as Rocky did when he screamed for Adria whist having his back to the ropes. All I’m saying is be very careful if you decide to start caravanning, invest R400 000 in a new caravan only to discover that the manufacturer won’t be around long enough to serve your warranty on the vehicle. That’s not what this industry is about.

I’ve read the reviews on Hello Peter and I think there is about one favourable review in the last 2 years! All the others are bad. And that says something!!

Yes, it would be a shame for Jurgens to close their doors, especially after all these years. Jurgens CI is as much of a household name as JIK or Dettol or Coca-Cola for that matter!

The fact is, where there is smoke… there certainly is fire!

I encourage anyone who knows anything of value regarding the state of affairs at Jurgens to post it below here. Whether it be good service, poor delivery or a new caravan purchase. I think “we” as the caravan community deserve to know the truth BEFORE seeing it on Carte Blanche!

And hopefully after proper research based on communal facts and EYEWITNESS REPORTS the guys at Caravan & Outdoor Life can research it and publish it in their magazine.

If you have any news on the factory or even Campworld for that matter, please don’t keep it to yourself.

Thank you for reading MY opinion on the matter, and I look forward to reading your comments below.

• Profile Photo
    Mikeap
    Mikeap on

My source an employee of Jurgens mentioned they have completed a proto type and busy testing.

Profile Photo
    HAppy Camper
    HAppy Camper on

Thanks MikeAP.

Thats great news! im guessing its going to be a new Penta.

i wonder if they will have it on exhibition at the Beeld Holiday show? or if we’ll read about it in one of the magazine issues?

Do you know of anyone recently who has bought a NEW jurgens or Sensation caravan? im curious.

hearing from a horses mouth might actually put all the whispers to bed. if you know what i mean.

Anyone willing to put their hand up here?

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

If people dont realise most articles are being paid for especially when a certain product or manufacturer is concerned, then I dont know what to tell you.. Magazines have been admitting that they are paid to write about stuff and without that payments they reckon they would not exist… So the sheep will follow blindly – and yeah, the rest is history.

Regarding Jurgens. If they do bounce back, our warranties are long gone. If they dont, we might struggle with parts and other issues in future..? Some claim to be able to get parts, but I can already not get the same wooden top for my 2015 Fleetline to replace the gas stove with…. So how to I do it now?

This whole industry is a mess and I believe people should read less in what articles say and get the correct info if interested.

Profile Photo
    HAppy Camper
    HAppy Camper on

Hi EXPO!

i see we comment quite a bit on this forum. lets hope either of us wins the monthly prize for the most comments. haha.

maybe some articles are paid for in magazines, after all. i guess they’re a business too.

But i wonder how the guys at caravan are paid to write about Jurgens going under provisional liquidation? no company would pay to have that written. either way. whether paid or unpaid its nice to know they offer the Joe soaps of the world like us, this forum platform to speak openly and honestly about stuff.

for me personally, i’ve got to know more about the editor Francois Huysamen, and i am of the opinion that he writes with integrity. because he does also list some of the product short falls from time to time.

i guess some peoples integrity cannot be bought or paid for. like us 🙂

oh! and have you tried either Loftus Caravans (neil) or Kempton caravans ( Bee) for your wooden top? im sure they can help you out? their service is second to none!

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Bought my caravan at Kempton but very sceptic of any caravan dealers these days.. But I will ask 😉

Profile Photo
    williefbotha botha
    williefbotha botha on

Goeie naand ,Ek het ‘n probleem met my Sprite Touer  2015 .En Tiaan by Jurgens SA probeer sy bes om my te help .Jurgens het ook nuwe karavane in die kaap afgelewer .By Leisure World in Bellville .Ek is vol vertroue dat Jurgens sal terug kom. Ons weet almal dat die diens en herstel van  ingevoerde karavane ,nie volhoubaar is nie .Die verskaffer van my karavaan in die Strand,waar ek my karavaan die laaste 30 maande gediens het .Stel nie belang om die herstelwerk op my karavaan te doen nie. En ek wag nou vir Tiaan by Jurgens om my te help

Willie F Botha

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Willie, wat jy sê is baie waar.. Baie van die probleme kom ook maar van die ouens af wat die dienste moet doen en karavane verkoop ens. Ek wil nie eers my karavaan by die dealers laat diens nie. Ek het geen vertroue dat die regte persoon my karavaan gaan nagaan en die goed ordentlik doen nie.. Maar nou ja ons kyk maar

Profile Photo
    HAppy Camper
    HAppy Camper on

hi Willie,

Have you got an email address or contact number for Tiaan at the factory?

i too am skeptical about dealers making changes to my Caravan. BUT in my experience, the guys from the old big 5 are the best. just be sure to check the craftsmanship of their work afterwards. customer service can be the difference between happy customer and irate customers!

i read about how Kempton helped that family get their caravan back from thieves in their latest issue. AND gave them a complimentary caravan to use on holiday! if that’s not caring or industry support…nothing is 😉

besides, Facebook being what it is today…..any shoddy work is almost immediately shamed!

Profile Photo
    Peter duPlessis
    Peter duPlessis on

If Jurgens is not up and running can anyone explain why Sprite caravans are still shown in the new caravan price schedule in the January edition of the magazine??

Profile Photo
    williefbotha botha
    williefbotha botha on

Hallo Happy camper the email is TianM@jurgens-ci.co.za .He asked that you just mention me(Laat hy asb net byvoeg dat dit via jou gekom het.)

Willie Botha williefbotha@vodamail.co.za

Mooi dag ek hoop jy kom reg

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)