Subscribe
Register | Log in

HOW TO JACK UP A CARAVAN WITH A FLAT

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Willie OeschgerParticipant

What is the correct procedure for jacking up a Sprite Swing  2004 model caravan when one has a flat tyre when travelling

• Profile Photo
    paulgartner
    paulgartner on

Stop travelling.

jack it up.

change the tyre

lower the jack

carry on travelling

Profile Photo
    Schalk Burger
    Schalk Burger on

I carry a bottle jack in my van which I use to level the axle at campsites. This is perfect for jacking up the van to replace a wheel. Just make sure the Base of the jack is large enough, I had to fit a piece of wood to enlarge the Base for steadiness

Profile Photo
    Richard Bennett
    Richard Bennett on

Place a rock or a caravan leveler in front of the flat wheel and tow the van into the rock or caravan leveler.

Loosen the wheel nuts.

Remove the van from the tow vehicle.

If you do not have the required tools to do the job.

Lower the front of the van to the lowest possible position.

Lower the rear steady on the side with the flat wheel till it touches the ground + 3 turns.

Extend the jockey wheel till the flat tire has cleared the ground.

Change the wheel.

Lower the jockey wheel.

Raise the steady.

Raise the jockey wheel.

Hope this helps.

Profile Photo
    Johan Marais
    Johan Marais on

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I think this is not the correct procedure, especially on the latest Jurgens, Gypsey and Sprite caravans. They have the tendency that the chassis bends when using the steady and jockey wheel, rather use a jack (bottle, scissor) as close as possible to the axle.</p>

Profile Photo
    Johan Vermeire
    Johan Vermeire on

I intend to agree with Johan Marais. A reputable caravan service center also pointed out to me that the latest’s local manufactured caravan’s  steady’s must only be utilized to hold the caravan steady and not to lift the caravan with them. I use the 3-level ramp to level the caravan first , then adjust the jockey wheel for horizontal level and then lower the steadies to hold the caravan accordingly. That is for parking the van. For a flatty, use a jack under the axle.

Profile Photo
    Mervyn Manning
    Mervyn Manning on

I have only ever used a scissor jack. the problem is that the axle gets to be a bit close to the ground when the tyre is flat and it can be difficult to push the jack all the way under and then you still have to crank the handle of the jack. I have extended the shaft of the jack in order to get it under the axle. I have an extension crank handle, which makes the job much easier than trying to operate the jack half way under the van. the jack can still be used for its normal intended use.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

preloader