Subscribe

HOW TO IMPORT?

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Mike
    Participant

I visited the Birmingham motorhome show in England. This really spoilt things for me, as there are 12 massive show halls and (even after four days) I still didn’t have enough time to look at all the caravans. It made me realise that we are years behind, compared to what is available overseas.

I found a few UK based suppliers of caravans and motorhomes with good prices who are willing to export excluding their local 20% VAT, which raises the question: Are there any readers who have imported a caravan or motorhome themselves, and who would be willing to share this information with me?

I believe it could be relatively easy, and from what I understand, all you need is an import permit for a new vehicle. (You can’t import a used one unless you are an expat returning to SA).

The shipping costs are quite low for the RORO, but when it arrives, which is usually at Durban harbour, is usually when the trouble starts.

So far, I cannot get the correct info about what happens next. I presume you have to pay the 50% Import Duties and the VAT, and then getting it licensed is the next problem, as it may need to be re-homologated for our road ordinance.

Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Profile Photo
    Godfrey
    Godfrey on

There is a roll-on/roll-off (RORO) ship that also docks in Port Elizabeth. We were there when the Fendt caravan was being imported. The shippers handled everything except the roadworthy.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.