Subscribe
Register | Log in

Gas fridge battles in heat

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    vWykSParticipant

I have a gas fridge in my motorhome and on a recent trip to Kruger it battled in the heat of the day to cool things down. At night it made ice. Any suggestions what can be wrong?

We have decided to buy a portable fridge/deepfreeze but don’t know what to buy, there are so many models on the market. We like the Snomaster in that it offers the best guarantee – seven years.

• Profile Photo
    COL
    COL on

Gas powered absorption fridges need two, maybe three things to work.

[ol]
    [li]They have to contain the appropriate amount of refrigerant flowing through the system.[/li]
    [li]They need a good, clean burning flame to create the right amount of heat.[/li]
    [li]And there has to be good airflow over the back of the fridge where the cooling fins are. If you block off any air vents that prevents airflow the fridge wont cool.[/li]
    [li]Actually, make that four, as the fridge also needs to be level.[/li]
    [/ol]

An easy DIY modification is to use old computer fans to expel hot air trapped in that compartment area behind the fridge and the outside of the motorhome or caravan. You can either use these fans to draw in fresh cool air from under the caravan or to push air out through any vents provided by the motorhome manufacturer.

It is often said that gas fridges work best in ambient temperatures of less than 30 degrees.

Of the portable fridge freezer, I believe that 7-year compressor warranty offered by Snowmaster is a market best. I see that Mobi Lodge are specifying this fridge.

See our Buyers Guide by clicking here for more great deals on fridges and cooler boxes.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader