Subscribe
Register | Log in

fitting toilet to caravan

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    elvis green woodParticipant

Any one any insight please on fitting a full on water based to to a caravan

What kind of waste tank and where I can buy such a waste tank from and how to plumb them up?

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

I’ve just been having a look at this issue and I see it comes in 2 parts:

1. The toilet, which is a “gravity fed flush toilet” for which there are several suppliers world wide but maybe not many in SA, and

2. The “black water holding tank” for which there are a lot less sources. If you haven’t seen it already try https://www.icondirect.com/waste-holding-tanks/. It seems like you just bolt the tank under the floor with the inlet located directly below the toilet outlet, and then there’s a handle you pull to discharge the tank, presumably into a large-diameter pipe that leads to a disposal site.

I think the big challenge will be to find a tank that will be the right size and shape to fit directly under, and hard against the floor, with the inlet in a place convenient to mount the toilet above it. The plumbing is simple once you have a suitable site. The toilet above dumps into the tank below, and the tank drains through the outlet valve down a waste pipe. No plumbing involved actually, other than getting water to the toilet above, which seems to be mostly by a foot operated pump from the caravan’s water tank.

If you import these parts yourself I reckon you’re in for around R15k to R20k, judging from the cost in the US and Oz.

Maybe the cassette type of toilet would be easier and cheaper to implement. Maybe that’s why they’re more popular as well.

Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

I rented a motorhome in the US one time, a small one by their standards, which had a gravity flush toilet dropping its load into a blackwater tank. There was a long, flexible discharge hose stored inside the hollow back bumper. You’d drive up to a discharge station (this was at EAA Oshkosh), connect the discharge hose, pull the handle, and the blackwater tank would dump into whatever was below the hole in the concrete.

I didn’t climb underneath to see how it was constructed, but I know the toilet dumped direct into the black water tank without any intermediate hose. Which means it was bolted directly under the floor, in a place where there were no chassis beams or cross-members.  I think you design the underfloor supports with the tank in mind – first position the toilet, then place the tank underneath it in the right place, and then put in the underfloor supporting members.

But first you have to buy the tank – everything depends on its size and shape. If you want to convert an existing bathroom such as you get with an Exclusive you’re probably going to be doing some cutting of steel supports underneath the floor. Then you fit the tank with its inlet under where you want to place the toilet.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

preloader