Subscribe

Echo Chobe versus Bush Lapa Kewer

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Reinhard HettaschParticipant

I have liked Bush Lapa since I first saw them and visited their show room in Centurion. One day (when I’m big) I hope to be able to purchase a Kewer or something similar. I have seen an Echo Chobe, which also interests me. I have sent an e-mail to Echo (whilst on their web site) to find out what is the difference between their Standard Chobe and the Tec Chobe, but have not received any feedback after more than a week.

I would be interested to read what peoples’ views are on the Kewer versus the Chobe, and why.

• Profile Photo
    Danie Steyn
    Danie Steyn on

We are running a BL-Kewer.

Find it easy to tow and just the right size for us two with space inside to sit if the weather are bad. Seat inside helps for a quick overnight stop if you do not unfold the Bush wing. We do off-road travels with dusty roads full of holes and bumps, up to date no issues.

I have done some work myself and did some mods to suite our off-road requirements. Some of the options offered was DIY and in the process saved a lot of money. I am not willing to exchange the alterations in a open forum. Should we exchange e-mail address I would be willing to so.

We had an Echo 4 previously and found this a very well manufactured unit and served us well for many years (around 44 000 km – note I do keep track of all our travels with and with out towing).

When we went on pension the choice were between Echo, Afrispoor and Bush Lapa (other manufactures were also in the running but dropped out due to various reasons). They all are very good and layouts differ. On the score card they were the top 3 and all ended up with in 5 points from each other (note both of us had their own score cards, my wife looks at things different). Bush Lapa won on layout and ease of setting up die Bush Wing.

I suggest that you look at all three units and take each one camping for a weekend. And pitch the tent/wings by yourself (one person) with out any assistance. Let each company show you once how to pitch and then do it yourself on site and time it. Pay attention from unhitch to ready to sleep (includes stands, leveling, pop of roof, pop of bed, wing, sides and kitchen unit).  I can get the basic wing, bed and roof up in under 10 minutes single handed. Sides are not always used and on one night stands just the roof and bed gets done. That was what made our final decision.

The new Kewer has one or two mods that we do not have and it makes life must more “lekker”.  Enjoy the search and good luck.

Profile Photo
    Reinhard Hettasch
    Reinhard Hettasch on

Baie dankie vir terugvoer, Dawie. My e-pos adres is: reinhard.hettasch@aurecongroup.com

Profile Photo
    Jolene Smythe
    Jolene Smythe on

Hi Danie
    We are looking to at BL Kewer as well and would love to get some ideas on what to look in terms of options and modifications before we “place an order”. Joe and Craig (smurfsmythe@icloud.com)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

© Caravan & Outdoor Life Magazine 2019

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader