Subscribe
Register | Log in

Don’t be a crappy camper

• BobHenney
    BobHenney on

My wife, Beulah, and I have just returned home from a month’s stay at The Willows in Port Elizabeth. We had a marvellous time despite the wind, which blew almost non-stop… first the south-easterly for 10 days at a time, and then it swung around and blew south-westerly.

But that did not stop us from swimming daily in the tidal pool and cycling around the park. Most stands are largely protected from the wind by big hedges, which also section off the stands.

My reason for writing to you is two-fold: I have two complaints, not about The Willows, but about some inconsiderate campers, caravanners and motorhome owners.

The first are those who bring their dogs camping with them, and allow them to bark at every passer-by, and/or don’t keep them on a leash, thereby allowing them to deposit their poop on the grass on others’ stands or on open stands, and not picking up the mess. This is despite camp rules requiring dogs to be kept on leashes.

The second complaint is about those who do not clean the dish-washing/scullery facility after use, but merely pull out the drain plug and walk away, leaving an unsightly mess for the next person to clean before being able to use the facility.

What happened to “Leave the facility as you would like to find it”? A few people spoil things for most others who take pride in themselves.

That’s the end of my complaints! Let’s look at the positives! I retired at the end of 2015, and we have since done the following:
    • January to April 2016: We visited our younger daughter, son-inlaw and new baby in Gold Coast, Australia.
    • April to May 2016: We spent a month at Lalanathi Caravan Park at Anerley, South Coast, KZN. The water is so much warmer than in PE.
    • August to October 2016: We toured up the west coast – following the flowers to Springbok, and then on to Augrabies National Park.

On the way from PE, we spent two days each at the following parks: ATKV Hartenbos, Goudini Spa, Nature’s View Citrusdal, Rondeberg Resort Clanwilliam, Vanrhynsdorp Park, Verbe Caravan Park Kamieskroon, Namastad Park Springbok and Augrabies National Park.

Unfortunately, the waterfall was rather low. We stayed here for 4 days as we enjoyed it so much. While at the various parks, we explored the area. Lambert’s Bay, Nieuwoudtville, Namaqua National Park, Nababeep, Okiep and Concordia were also visited. We saw millions of flowers.

We returned much the same way except that we finally arrived at Langebaan Municipal Park. This, too, we enjoyed so much, cycling along the lagoon and into West Coast National Park, that we stayed for 3 weeks.

From there, we overnighted at Goudini and then went on to Oudtshoorn Kleinplaas for 3 days. Then we headed home, arriving on 3 October.

It was a total of six weeks of fabulous camping. The weather played along marvellously.

We met many lovely people and keep in contact via WhatsApp.

Thanks for a great magazine.
    Best regards,
    Bob & Beulah Henney

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.