Subscribe

Deep Cycle Batteries and Chargers

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Donovan Marais
    Participant

Hello there. I am new here and I recently bought myself a 4×4 trailer to start camping again. My first memories of holidays was in a caravan and I have to share the same with my kids.

Long story short… I had to replace my 4×4 trailers’  2 batteries as they were a bit ‘finished’. I replaced them at Battery Pro in Brackenfell with 2 x 674T Maxim 105ah batteries and now I have a question or two regarding charging and battery maintenance/care.

Firstly, I have 220v, 12v -and a solar panel to my disposal.
    Secondly, I have less than ZERO/Nul/Niks technical knowledge so please bear with me here…

The batteries are both connected to the current ‘charger’ (unknown brand) and a MegaPulse device (I tried reading up but… see question 5) but I was told to get a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger.

Questions:

1. I do have a Stanley 15 Amp Battery Charger with Quick Start Timer – will it work -or do you advise a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger or both?
    2. Do I need a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger for each battery as I have two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries?
    3. Can I leave the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger on/connected to 220v mains and the two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries -or should I only charge the batteries before I am going to use the van?
    4. Someone told me that Deep Cycle batteries such as the two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries, ‘needs to work‘ constantly – in other words be in use and charging at all times or they will not last… Is this true?
    5. a. Do I need to have the MegaPulse connected to mains permanently? It seems that way but will the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger and/or my Stanley 15 Amp Battery Charger not do the same thing?
      b. Can I still use the MegaPulse in conjunction with the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger?
    6. What else can I do to ensure that my batteries last?

Okay that’s about that for now.  Looking forward to your advise…

• Profile Photo
    Snazzy321
    Snazzy321 on

A deep cycle battery is better for trailers, caravans and camping.
    The pros:
    1. They can handle being discharged completely many more times than a normal car battery. So when you’re not using your caravan there is no need to worry about the battery. Just charge it before you go.
    2. They can handle a longer use periods.

Cons:
    1. They don’t have the peak or surge power of a normal car battery.
    2. They are heavier.
    3. They cost more.

My advice. Purchase a deep cycle battery.

Profile Photo
    Francois Huysamen
    Francois Huysamen on

I do have a Stanley 15 Amp Battery Charger with Quick Start Timer – will it work -or do you advise a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger or both?
    All chargers will work up to a certain stage. The Stanley 15A is a 3 stage charger vs the 8 steps of the CTEK MXS 5.0 which points out that the CTEK is somewhat superior in this instance.

Do I need a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger for each battery as I have two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries?
    You can use one charger to maintain both batteries. The CTEK MXS 7A can charge up to 150A/h and the MXS 10A can charge up to 200A/h

Can I leave the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger on/connected to 220v mains and the two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries -or should I only charge the batteries before I am going to use the van?
    All battery manufacturers will tell you never to leave a battery on charge unattended. Even smart chargers will cause the battery to loose some fluid over a long period which is dangerous. Here you have some options.
    a. To store batteries first charge them individually. If there is no load on a battery do a top up once a month overnight. The MXS 5A will work here.
    b. To store batteries with charger linked permanently first charge them up individually. Then couple them up in parallel. Then make use of a charger with a “supply mode”. Supply mode will keep charge steady at 13.6v and can be done indefinitely. The CTEK MXS 7A and MXS 10A has these settings.

Someone told me that Deep Cycle batteries such as the two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries, ‘needs to work‘ constantly – in other words be in use and charging at all times or they will not last… Is this true?
    Not true. Once a battery is fully charged it is enough. The standard Deep Cycle lead acid battery does not want to go below 50% of its capacity or state of charge. If so the lifespan of the battery will be shortened every time it occurs. Therefore the monthly top up is adequate.

a. Do I need to have the MegaPulse connected to mains permanently? It seems that way but will the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger and/or my Stanley 15 Amp Battery Charger not do the same thing?
    A smart charger will do same function – refer “supply” mode on CTEK charger

b. Can I still use the MegaPulse in conjunction with the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger?
    You can use CTEK in conjunction with Mega Pulse – CTEK on its own will do more.

What else can I do to ensure that my batteries last?
    Regular charging or top up charge will extend battery life. Even new batteries need this. As you seem to be interested in the subject you may look at getting the CTEK Battery Sense. Now you can see your battery behaviour on your smart phone via blue tooth connection.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)