Subscribe

Deep Cycle Batteries and Chargers

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Donovan Marais
    Participant

Hello there. I am new here and I recently bought myself a 4×4 trailer to start camping again. My first memories of holidays was in a caravan and I have to share the same with my kids.

Long story short… I had to replace my 4×4 trailers’  2 batteries as they were a bit ‘finished’. I replaced them at Battery Pro in Brackenfell with 2 x 674T Maxim 105ah batteries and now I have a question or two regarding charging and battery maintenance/care.

Firstly, I have 220v, 12v -and a solar panel to my disposal.
    Secondly, I have less than ZERO/Nul/Niks technical knowledge so please bear with me here…

The batteries are both connected to the current ‘charger’ (unknown brand) and a MegaPulse device (I tried reading up but… see question 5) but I was told to get a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger.

Questions:

1. I do have a Stanley 15 Amp Battery Charger with Quick Start Timer – will it work -or do you advise a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger or both?
    2. Do I need a CTEC MXS 5.0 charger for each battery as I have two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries?
    3. Can I leave the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger on/connected to 220v mains and the two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries -or should I only charge the batteries before I am going to use the van?
    4. Someone told me that Deep Cycle batteries such as the two 674T Maxim 105ah batteries, ‘needs to work‘ constantly – in other words be in use and charging at all times or they will not last… Is this true?
    5. a. Do I need to have the MegaPulse connected to mains permanently? It seems that way but will the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger and/or my Stanley 15 Amp Battery Charger not do the same thing?
      b. Can I still use the MegaPulse in conjunction with the CTEC MXS 5.0 charger?
    6. What else can I do to ensure that my batteries last?

Okay that’s about that for now.  Looking forward to your advise…

• Profile Photo
    Snazzy321
    Snazzy321 on

A deep cycle battery is better for trailers, caravans and camping.
    The pros:
    1. They can handle being discharged completely many more times than a normal car battery. So when you’re not using your caravan there is no need to worry about the battery. Just charge it before you go.
    2. They can handle a longer use periods.

Cons:
    1. They don’t have the peak or surge power of a normal car battery.
    2. They are heavier.
    3. They cost more.

My advice. Purchase a deep cycle battery.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)