Converting my 750Kg luggage trailer

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    sjabuh72@gmail.comParticipant

Hi Everyone,

I am currently having a small trailer that i want to convert it into caravan, what must i do to increase the GVM of the trailer?

Regards

Jabu

• Profile Photo
    Corne
    Corne on

Hi Jabu,

Once this has been done you will have to re-roadworthy the trailer specifying an upgrade in GVM and register the trailer at your local authority. You will have to upgrade the trailer data plate too.

Profile Photo
    Corne
    Corne on

The GVM of the trailer starts with the axle rating, by law all axles must have a tag specifying the maximum load it can carry. You can upgrade the axle to a heavier load carrying capacity – within the capability of the trailer – and if you go more than 750 kg you will have to fit an axle that has brakes. This would also require a new tow hitch to operate the trailer brakes.

Once this has been done you will have to re-roadworthy the trailer specifying an upgrade in GVM and register the trailer at your local authority. You will have to upgrade the trailer data plate too.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

© Caravan & Outdoor Life Magazine 2019

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader