Subscribe

Control your Ewiks Caravan Mover from your phone

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Participant

If you want to accurately position your caravan with your ewiks you need freedom of movement. Being restricted to a short legth of cable denies you that freedom.

I have developed a device that will control your ewiks caravan mover from your Android smartphone through it’s Bluetooth capability. This allows you to move freely up tp about 30 metres from your van and position it just where you want it.

I have written an app to run on any smartphone runnning Android 5.0 or higher that will give you all of the control of the traditional control panel from anywhere within Bluetooth range. The capabilities of the traditional panel are unaffected. and both can be used simultaneously.

iPhones are not presently supported.

• Profile Photo
    Ian Dommisse
    Ian Dommisse on

Is your app on the play store? If so what is the name, please.

Profile Photo
    Johan Hall
    Johan Hall on

Good day,

How can we get hold of this APP and do we require any modification to the van?

Profile Photo
    zasax99
    zasax99 on

Info here    https://www.dactyltech.co.za/caravan_mover.html#

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

I would prefer to hold the buttons for movement in and rather release it to stop… I have seen phones get stuck for a few moments and would rather pulse the motors than press the stop and it taking too long to wake up or not send the stop signal in time and push my caravan into a wall or down a cliff…… Nice idea, needs some thinking though

Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

Kyle Warburg at ewiks told me where to get one of these. It took 2 days to arrive and about half an hour to install. Installation is dead-easy and requires only a screwdriver, wire-cutters and not much more.

The principle of operation is that a continuous series of ‘go-pulses’ is sent from the phone to the remote control. If the phone goes out of range or the battery goes flat the pulses stop and the motors stop in less than half a second, that’s the time it takes the van to move 2 inches!. The designer of this thing worked for NASA at one time – he knows about electronics and safety, and this thing is failsafe.

The pleasure of being able to walk around my van while inserting it between the trees is immense. I don’t know how I managed without it before – and caravan sites seen to get smaller every year.

I talked to a few other guys who got this device and they all agree about being happy with it – just like me

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Simon is correct. The mobile transmits a series of overlapping refresh codes to the remote control to keep the motor relays energised. Any failure of any part of the system results in almost immediate stopping of the motors, similar to releasing the buttons.

This forum is rightly dedicated to hobbyists and handy-men but as he Simon tells you I’ve been in electronic engineering since the late 1960s and worked on mega-projects over the years. I developed this device entirely for my own use and then went on to help out a few of my friends. Now I supply it selectively to other caravanners when I get the idea they will make a success of the project, otherwise not.

Best to All

Fyko

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Ok so long is the shortest pulse I can give the motor with the phone? Say I need to get it 2cm from the wall and I am 5cm away? Can I pulse it just like a switch with very quick pulse action or am I going to hit the wall. I get that situation a lot where a pulse or 2 is just just right…… And I saw this December that even a short pulse at a time was necessary to manage in the sand and mud as the movers lost traction on the tyre. Had to get the one wheel out of the hole made by jockey, and only pulse actions managing with the jack to lift the wheel made it possible to safe myself out of a bad situation. All I am saying is I would rather love such an app to be a bit better..

And I know phones can get stuck for a while and if it is stuck on the pulses, good luck.. It is not failsafe, not by far..

NASA doesn’t mean anything…… They still crashed rockets, still failed a lot of missions.. So no respect in that category or something to be hopeful about 😉

Elon Musk is showing NASA a thing or 2 😉

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Better stay with what you know and trust then.

Cheers

Profile Photo
    HAppy Camper
    HAppy Camper on

There are quite a few movers on the market today actually…..

and i think each offers a unique way in how to manoeuvre your caravan.

Some of them are big and clunky. which i think would operate better than the pulsing mechanisms. I’ve posted a picture below. it works by attaching a battery drill to the one side which in turn drives the jockey wheel.

Arguably, perfect and cheap method of moving your caravan where all the moving parts can be seen! however, i think its not as sleek and visually appealing as some of the wireless units.

caravan mover

then there’s the Wired way. like this:

Here you have the “thumb-sticks” to control the caravan movement. the benefits of this method is that you dont require batteries in your hand held control unit. and as long as you are connected to power or batteries. operation should be no problem.

the down side is that these units are quite expensive. the positives is that these units RARELY give you any problems or hassles.

caravan mover camp trolley

This unit looks like something from the future. and may somewhat turn your caravan into Johnny five! im not sure what the weight limit is for this little invention, but i can tell you that i think the rubber on the wheels wont last long.

might be the ideal solution for pitching up steep inclines.

the last option is a wireless system.caravan mover ewiks

these in my opinion are moderately priced. BUT these wireless devices often use batteries which after continual use – will fail when you need it the most! so either make sure you have spare batteries. or do yourself a favour and make sure you have an energizer recharge kit with you. just in case 😉

i do also favour the mobile app option. from FYKO. its  certainly a neat idea!

but i also understand the  views expressed by EXPO CAMPER. if you are 2 CM’s away from a wall, and the unit pulses 5cm movements. you just may end up with a nick or a chip in the van. although i think this is very uncommon. as most caravaners treat their caravans like their grandchildren 😉 perhaps it would be nice if there was a “BUMP” or “STAB” option in the movement.

a bump should equate to 1cm of movement if pressed.

and a stab should amount to 2cm’s of movement.

if you can work that into your app, perhaps it would improve your product?

Either way! well done!

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Exactly my point…. Well done Happy Camper.. I am just suggesting a positive improvement..

By the way, I believe you have a lot less traction on a jockey wheel mover and movers on the wheels are already a huge improvement on that….

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)