Subscribe

Caravan restoration

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Ian Henderson
    Participant

I am about to start a project of restoring a VERY neglected Gypsey Caravette 6. I’m going to strip it completely inside and redesign it for our personal use with a toilet shower, island double bed etc. I’m also thinking of fitting larger diameter wheels after enlarging the wheel wells.

Is there anyone out there who has restored a caravan and willing to share some advise?

• Profile Photo
    Tanja Smit
    Tanja Smit on

Hi Ian, I ‘m with you on this also. Im helping my dad restore a neglected Will Amethyst Caravan and Im looking for advice swell, starting with a shower cubicle unit…… Let me know if you have ideas.

T

Profile Photo
    Roy Aylward
    Roy Aylward on

Hi Ian and Tanja, I will be joining you soon I hope. I want to buy an older, bigger caravan and convert it into an off-roader that my wife and I can live in. I am a wildlife filmmaker and would like the caravan to be our home on location. So, large enough to live in and strong enough to get it into the bush. I am in Tanzania at the moment but when I get back will start on the project…..Roy.

Profile Photo
    Rochelle McWilliams
    Rochelle McWilliams on

Hello! We are rebuilding a Jurgens camper van, but its basically a caravan body.
    We have pulled off the sides, rebuilt the walls, refitted cladding, pulled up the floor, doing the walls and ceiling, chopped up the wheel arches, built in extra storage. Custom building marine style hatches to access the roof from inside, building a roof rack. Fitting a solar system, kitchen, secret compartments.

Any questions let us know and we can have a chat. We are based in Cape Town at the moment. Caravan Sa is actually publishing an article on us next month I think. Our project is called InspireTrails.

Profile Photo
    Ian Henderson
    Ian Henderson on

Hi Rochelle and others,

Thanks for the pictures. Awesome lot of work you are doing. I take it you are building onto the vehicle chassis. What I want to know it what is the best, easiest, cheapest way of strengthening the caravan chassis, and sidewalls of the van?

I want to put in an extra “door” on the right side of the van, which will split horizontally to form a stand in shower, and will need to have quite substantial hinge attachments to the chassis.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Profile Photo
    Rochelle McWilliams
    Rochelle McWilliams on

Heya,
    We pulled everything off and rebuilt using meranti. Having tested it around, its solid. We used the exisiting cladding, but everything else we replaced. And yes, we are working directly onto the chassis. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel, so we noted the original construction and replaced what was needed, so we could match the windows and door back on lekka. Also line up the joins for main support beams. We have added extra beems in the ceiling to create enough strength for a roof rack too. We are finding that the build is strong as is, and can only get stronger once we do all our cabinets.
    Having taken out the windows and doors ourselves, just make sure you can source the right profile for the rubber door gasket. If you dont get the pinch right the doors doesnt work. We made steel brackets which we welded onto the frame and just used wood to frame and strengthen.
    With Jurgens being up to shit in SA now, spares are a huge issue for us. Like, they no longer make the beading that covers the screws? Something I thought to be standard.

Profile Photo
    Ian Henderson
    Ian Henderson on

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Thanks for that. Food for thought and sounds workable on my project.</p>

Profile Photo
    Ian Henderson
    Ian Henderson on

Hi All, I am currently on holiday in Australia and hired a Jayco Extender Outback. I towed with a Toyota Prado. What a nice combination. Caravan was just on 2.2tons. I am stealing with my eyes for new ideas. Amazing caravan spares shops here. You can buy anything you could ever need. BTW, Jurgens Australia also has a terrible reputation for getting spares etc. I’m going to write an article on our trip to the Flinders Ranges when I get home.

Profile Photo
    Ahmed kajee
    Ahmed kajee on

Hi

I have recently aquired a 1983 Caravette 4. I am looking to replace the shocks. based in Durban. Where would I be able to buy them.

thanks

Gora Kajee

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)