Subscribe
Register | Log in

Caravan Movers

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    KampmalMember

Best Caravan Mover for a Skipper Oyster LTX. Can anybody chip in with advice on this topic please?

• Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

Thanks Deon.

I did something similar for my Classique, though a bit less elegant (and at twice the price if you take the false starts into account) and now that jockey wheel problem is in the past. But it created a new problem.

I can now cover a much ground with my ewiks as the battery will allow once my trailing cable to the power plug runs out of length. And my new anxiety became how hot the motors got over an extended distance without stopping to attend to obstacles or blown fuses. They felt like they were getting pretty warm, but how hot is too hot?

I talked to Dactyltech about this because that’s where I got the remote control from and within a week the sent me an upgrade kit that can display the temperature of the motors on my mobile. You clip a heat probe to the outside of each motor, run a cable back to the control unit where it has a new socket to plug into, and the latest version of the app give you a continuous readout of each motors temperature.

They claim it also shuts the motors down when they start to overheat, but I haven’t tested that part yet. And I hope I don’t have to.

This is what it looks like:

Profile Photo
    Deon Jacobs
    Deon Jacobs on

Very nice. But shouldn’t you be measuring the heat inside the motor?

And anyway I understand the motors have internal overheat protection. So is this actually necessary?

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Since the motors have permanent magnets to create the static field all of the heat generated within the motor comes from electrical and magnetic activity in the armature, from where it travels to the casing within a very short time. Therefore the temperature of the casing follows that of the armature within just a few seconds, and our digit heat sensors are insulated from all thermal influences other than the motor casings. So drilling holes in the motors to insert sensors unnecessary as well as being totally impractical.

Some motors do indeed have thermal protectors (TPs) to break the current flow, but not these.  TPs are normally buried in the field coils where there are only one or two circuits to interrupt, but these motors don’t have field coils; they have permanent magnets. Embedding TPs in the armature is not possible: there would need to be more of them than space would allow (one on every commutator circuit), and they would all have to act simultaneously to be effective. It is theoretically possible to insert TPs between power terminal and brush, but these motors are without this enhancement, nor is there room to retrofit them.

Our ThermoGuard feature allows the user to keep a continuous eye on the heat in his motors and shuts them down if, and for as long as, any temperature exceeds 70 degrees C.

Profile Photo
    Deon Jacobs
    Deon Jacobs on

Still quite expensive when you consider you could just crawl under and feel the motors with outstretched hand.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

There’s always a way of doing something a little cheaper.

Among outdoors people there is a small sub-group that likes to do things ‘better’ rather than ‘cheaper’, and it is these good folks that underpin the accessories industries. They derive pleasure from owning and using innovations that make life easier and more pleasurable. Things that are often just not available to their economy-minded brethren.

I’ve been dealing with the quality-seekers for quite a few years now, and they are a total pleasure – courteous and scrupulously honest they demand (and get) impeccable service and respond with ultra-prompt payment.

I wish there were millions more of them.

Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

Hi Fyko.

I’d like to upgrade my remote control to this thermo kit.

What must I do?

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

You need to return the controller to me so I can add some hardware and upgrade the firmware. This takes less than an hour and won’t cost you anything.

I then send it back to you together with the thermo stuff. Probably on the same day, but at worst on the day following. You reinstall the controller immediately to restore operation, and fit the heat probes at your leisure.

After you get the controller back you upgrade the app to V2.1.0

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

I’ve also added a battery voltage monitor recently:

At the bottom left you see the voltage of the main caravan battery, the one you’re using to power the movers. When the voltage drops to below 11.7V the background goes to RED to warn you that you’re dangerously discharging your battery.

While operating the movers the battery voltage will often drop below 11,7 V and this is no reason to panic, you need to let the battery rest for several minutes before the real state of charge is reported.

Of course this is a handy battery monitor even if you aren’t operating the movers – the voltage level will be reported anytime the controller is online to the phone.

This is a free upgrade if you can get the controller to me.

Profile Photo
    Dan Perkins
    Dan Perkins on

I really need these upgrades.

Could you not notify existing user by email or something? I don’t check this forum every day and I’d like to know when something new comes out.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Hi Dan,

I do keep a database of all our users, and they receive an automatic notification of relevant updates.

I also remove any name from that database after the second email that receives no response, on the assumption that the person no longer wants to be bothered by me. Some people are habitual non-responders, a condition that I find annoying and punish where I can.

Send a confirmatory email to any address at dactyltech.co.za to be reinstated on the database.

Profile Photo
    Deon Jacobs
    Deon Jacobs on

Since the Caravan Mover App is free to download by everybody isn’t it possible for somebody else to take control my caravan movers from his phone?

Surely there should be some security against this?

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Every Bluetooth device has a unique MAC (Media Access Control) address which is a 6-byte hexadecimal number (281 trillion combinations) that is used to communicate with that device.

My mobile phone app needs the MAC address of the target remote control unit to be specifically entered, without it the app cannot connect to any remote control device. To do this there is a dedicated little app called the MAC Editor, and it allows the entering of the correct MAC address for all of our products.

While the MAC Editor is quick and easy to use, and mostly needs to be used only once, at inception, there are cases when it nevertheless becomes a hassle. Such as when a person (and there are a few) has more than one vehicle fitted with caravan movers. We have several client who own both a caravan and a camping trailer and both are fitted with movers. In this case the user needed to keep switching MAC address every time he want to change the vehicle to be moved.

To solve this problem we came up with the DualSelect feature which allows two MAC addresses to be saved in the phone and the app can switch from one to the other at the touch of a single button.

You tap the orange button and the app switched between Mover 1 and Mover 2, and connects within less than 5 seconds.

As a further security measure most owners switch off the power to their remote control units when they’re not in use, firstly because this is good practice, but also because this allows the dedicated secondary battery (if implemented) to be charged from the caravan’s charger.

Profile Photo
    Owen Ball
    Owen Ball on

Hi Fyko,

on a single axle van that rotates about its own axis there is very little effort or torque required with the very big gear reduction on the movers to rotate or drive the caravan, on a twin axle that skids about its axis this is a completely different kettle of fish, hence the differential drive arrangement of the PURPLE movers that handle the load effortlessly remembering that the wheel loading is less on the twin axle Exclusive than the Classic single axle van.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Hi Owen,

Thanks. I did mention somewhere that the drag will increase exponentially as the radius of the turn diminishes. But that’s no reason not to fit movers, just a good reason to avoid tight turns with better planning (and expect to provide occasional powerful assistance).

For sure the Classique has it the worst – the weight of a double axle, but only 2 wheels to drive onto. I have a Classique myself, and do all my development testing on it – there’s no van that will blow more fuses, suck more current, and heat the motors more than a Classique. The products I supply were all developed to alleviate my Classique problem. It doesn’t get worse than Classique-bad.

The Classique’s saving grace is that it’s gross weight is just low enough to allow it to be towed by a lot of bakkies that have a tare too low for the double-axle vans. Some people ignore that restriction, but I choose not to. Hence I have a Classique and not an Exclusive.

Which Purpleline are you referring to? I understand the EM4445 is out of production.

Best regards,

Fyko

Profile Photo
    Deon Jacobs
    Deon Jacobs on

Does your remote control do a ‘soft start’? Whatever exactly that is.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

preloader