Subscribe

Caravan mover

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Blazer
    Participant

Hi All
    I am contemplating the fitment of a caravan mover to my caravan. I have done some research and it seems that there is not a lot of variety in our market. Can anyone tell me if it is worth the money to install a caravan mover? If you have a mover on your van what is the issues that you experience with the mover? Any guidance will be appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    Dan Perkins
    Dan Perkins on

Thanks Pieter.

I understand that most of South Africa’s caravan population sleeps 11 months of the year in Gauteng. Hence the concentration of business there for your enterprise.

Nevertheless a good case exists for having at least a seasonal presence at the coast, particularly in the resort cities, since the need for your product and service will be most keenly remembered. I imagine that even the simple act of distributing business cards and leaflets will have a positive outcome for you.

The experience of my neighbour at Richards Bay, where his holiday was seriously diminished by back injury, is I’m sure not unique amongst the older set of caravan users.

Profile Photo
    Mike Louw
    Mike Louw on

Hi, I  pull a caravan up my driveway, where I test each mover before dispatch, which is 13 degrees. the only reason that I specify 5 degrees is because most caravan parks are grassed, and the mover could lose traction, especially if the grass is wet. I have sent these movers all over the country, and have yet to have a complaint. The unit is cost effective, very light and an easy d.i.y. fitment project. email me at oldmanafricaeng@gmail.com and I will send you pics from my I phone.

Profile Photo
    Dan Perkins
    Dan Perkins on

I know that Local is supposed to be Lekker and all that but isn’t there a possible continuity issue with small SA manufacturers?

Imported stuff might be more expensive but isn’t it less of a maintainability risk in the long run?

You see it with Jurgens disappearing almost overnight. Where do you now get things like windows and pop-up roof surrounds for your hugely expensive caravan?

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Hi Dan, Your concerns regarding continuity are certainly valid. Continued maintainability is always on our minds, though Jurgens was laid low, we understand, not by the business failing but through some corporate shenanigans involving the owner.

Small businesses tend to be fiercely protected by their owners through thick and thin, and are not placed at any particular risk until the owners becomes somehow incapacitated and can defend it no longer. In the case of Ewiks, Kyle Marburg is of such tender years that he’ll likely outlive the vast majority of his present-day clients, and their product is sufficiently developed that the designer may now gracefully retire without adverse consequences.

Also, suppliers that are in-country tend to keep a finger on the pulse of their target market and be more responsive to the requirements of that market.  I know that is true for Kyle at Ewiks as well as many others.

I pester my buyers for feedback to the point of being a nuisance because I have a personal stake in their satisfaction with my devices. I discovered that one of my users had developed the bad habit of murdering his batteries by discharging them to the point that they no longer turned the motors. This of course meant that the electronics ran out of power and the mobile uncoupled, which caused the client to become disgruntled.

In response I produced the dual-battery system whereby a small secondary gel-cell powered the electronics independently of the main battery. This then resulted in some battery-charging issues where the batteries were paralleled to the same charger and thus charged and discharged in unison – thereby removing any benefit. I then added a DPDT switch assembly that would charge the second battery when the remote control was at rest, with elaborate connection diagrams published on the website.

One chap sent me a message that he’d found a wiring error on the switch, but not to worry – he’d rewired it correctly. I asked him to show on the schematic how it had been miss-connected, and his answer was: “What schematic?”. I sent him the URL link, and he went “Ah – now I understand”. Since then I check the weblogs to verify the client has downloaded the schematic before I send out any kit.

This is why there needs to be an interaction between client and supplier – which is difficult to achieve if they’re greatly separated, physically as well as culturally. A loaf of bread or a kg of butter you can safely buy without recourse to the supplier, but with things like caravan movers you want to be close to the source.

Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

I totally agree.

And with the wide variety of chassis formats in use across the range of caravans in SA, some of them produced in quite small quantities, it is important to have customising talent and experience close to hand.

This is to my mind the major advantage of powered jockey wheels – they’re about as close to universal is it gets.

I don’t actually know anybody with an imported mover so I can only imagine the challenge of fashioning workable mountings from underneath the vehicle, and then finding out the hard way whether they perform or not.

Profile Photo
    Wilsur
    Wilsur on

I have the Powrtouch mover on my Exclusive. I have done lots of looking around and found that the local one is not designed for the double axle caravan.
    Look at this web https://www.caravanmoversonline.co.uk/pages/compare-movers.html

And i only have one set on, no need to have it on all 4 wheels.

Kampgroete
    Willem

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Thanks Willem,

I’ve seen those performance tables before – in fact I have a link to them on my website. Some of the performance figures are hard to credit from an engineering perspective – like a 35% angle of climb for a 1650Kg caravan? On an 80A current draw that would be quite a feat, and take some time!

But you are happy with your purchase and that is by far the most important thing.

Profile Photo
    Wilsur
    Wilsur on

Fyko, is tis the only forum in SA you are part of ?
    Also look at Kampforum.co.za

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Baie dankie Willem. Ek sien dit nou vir die eerste keer. Indrukwekkend.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Goeie dag Willem. Weereens dankie. Ek is nou daar ‘n lid.

My amp is nie eerstens woonwa skuiwers nie, ek het maar net een op my Classique, maar ek is ‘n oud ontwerper van elektoniese toerusting en ek het vir my eie gerief ‘n selfoon afstand beheer ontwikkel vir my ewiks skuiwers.

Toe kom daar allerhande pelle wat dit ook wou he. My ander stokpertjie is webwerf onwikkeling , so toen maak ek maar ‘n webwerf vir my verskeie afstand beheer produkte. Alles op ‘n baie klein skaal want ek is al baie jare afgetree.

In tussen hou ek ‘n belang in die algemene ingeneurwese van skuiwers waar ek hulle ook sien. My erf het sagte sand en my ewiks kan vreeslik sukkel on daar reg te kom, gevolglik het ek elektiese stroom monitors aangebring wat die huidige stroomsyfer op my foon vertoon. En dan as die stroom op enige motor te hoog raak skakel die sisteem die stroom naar daardie motor of. Duur maar effektief.

Weereens dankie.

Beste groete

Fyko

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Not all Android phones support the Afrikaans language, but for those that do V1.3 of the app will speak to you in your 1st language.

To get the phone Afrikaans-capable is not particularly difficult but there are too many options to be covered here. Probably your 10 year-old will do it in 5 minutes

Afrikaans Text Screen

Profile Photo
    Pieter Kalis
    Pieter Kalis on

Fyko ,

Is dit moontlik vir jou om n koodlise remote vir Ewiks te maak wat nie vanaf n selfoon werk nie.

Groete.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Hi  Pieter,

Daar is heel moontlik ouens wat dit wel kan doen. Miskien ienamd se seun wat so ‘n stokperdie het. Dis redelik eenvoudig – 4 relays en 4 radio seine.

Ek het dit vir myself ontwerp want ‘n selfoon is al dat ek dra. Ek het selfs niemeer ‘n horlosie nie. Die selfoon oplossing is dalk ‘n bietjie duurder maar dis baie grerieflik. Ek het ook afstand beheer vir my 4×4 winch, my bande druk beheer (op en afblaas), my boorgat pomp, my huis se alarm, en my kind se GPS tracker op die selle foon. Alles in een. Die ding van die toekoms.

As ek van iets hoor sal ek jou laat weet.

Alles van die beste aan julle.

Fyko

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Having now done some more research on Afrikaans language packs for Android phones I can tell you that I’m deeply disappointed. There is almost no support for Afrikaans amongst Android phone manufacturers, and this is a total disgrace.

What I previously thought as being phone-wide support for the language is in fact only a few soft-keyboards with Afrikaans text-completion – which is just another app, and a long way from actual system-wide language support.

So far I’ve only seen that Lenovo has produced this essential feature on some units, Samsung and the rest have not performed at all. Afrikaans is not my first language, though I try to keep reasonably fluent in it, but if it was I would certainly become most offended by this blatant insult to my culture and heritage.

Profile Photo
    Pieter Kalis
    Pieter Kalis on

Fyko,

Baie dankie,

Ek waardeer dit.

Groete,

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)