Subscribe

Caravan mover

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Blazer
    Participant

Hi All
    I am contemplating the fitment of a caravan mover to my caravan. I have done some research and it seems that there is not a lot of variety in our market. Can anyone tell me if it is worth the money to install a caravan mover? If you have a mover on your van what is the issues that you experience with the mover? Any guidance will be appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    DorothyK
    DorothyK on

We had a mover installed on our caravan when we bought it – it was the best thing that we could have done!
    Previously with our old caravan it would take us up to 2 hours to get the caravan into our property, turn it around and move into the parking space, this maneuver was complicated after a long holiday if the grass was long!
    These days it takes us 5 minutes to move it in with the mover – it works like a charm! (its like a remote control car – only much bigger!)

We’ve even used it when we get to camp sites where it is difficult to get onto the site or where there is no help to move the van.

The only negative element that I can add is that the jockey wheel tends to take a hammering – we have in the 4 years that we have had the mover, already had to replace the jockey wheel.

Profile Photo
    Francois Huysamen
    Francois Huysamen on

Hi @dorothyk

We’ve had some more responses to your question on our Facebook page. Take a look at what some of our other online fans have to say here: http://www.facebook.com/caravanoutdoorlife/posts/1323017724383422

Profile Photo
    Ronnie2
    Ronnie2 on
    DorothyK wrote:
    We had a mover installed on our caravan when we bought it – it was the best thing that we could have done!
    Previously with our old caravan it would take us up to 2 hours to get the caravan into our property, turn it around and move into the parking space, this maneuver was complicated after a long holiday if the grass was long!
    These days it takes us 5 minutes to move it in with the mover – it works like a charm! (its like a remote control car – only much bigger!)

We’ve even used it when we get to camp sites where it is difficult to get onto the site or where there is no help to move the van.

The only negative element that I can add is that the jockey wheel tends to take a hammering – we have in the 4 years that we have had the mover, already had to replace the jockey wheel.

Profile Photo
    pieterpje
    pieterpje on

I had a mover installed on my Penta. My wife was not able to help me move the caravan at the time and to get it into the yard was always a big thing. The best decision ever. I have sold the Penta and bought a Splash and had one i8nstalled and I just sold the Splash and bought a Sensation and again with a mover. This helps to get into tight spots and no sweat. All in all best money ever spent.

Profile Photo
    Reinhard Hettasch
    Reinhard Hettasch on

What are the makes or models that all of you have installed?

Profile Photo
    Wayne Gould
    Wayne Gould on

Hi

We had an Evolution Auto fitted in our Fleetline in January 2018, with a battery.

Have since travelled from Cape Town to KZN and used it often. We could not do without it – even moved the caravan uphill on its own from one site to the next without any issues.

The wireless remote control is great and easy to use.

The mover is expensive but highly recommended.

Profile Photo
    Mike Louw
    Mike Louw on

Have you thought of an electric jockey wheel. Very light, very easy to install and  use

Profile Photo
    Nardus Bothma
    Nardus Bothma on

I bought the Ewiks mover for my Penta more than a decade ago.  Later when I upgraded to a Classique I bought new fitment brackets and moved the movers to the new van.

Swambo would have given up camping years ago if it was not for the movers.  Since camping is a team sport that would have meant the end of camping for me too.

Not cheap, but a marriage saver if you enjoy camping.

Whether you have a tricky driveway or a tight parking spot, the mover gives you precision control to get it in and out by yourself….effortlessly.

After investing in a decent carport a mover is definitely the next must have.

In ten years of regular usage one of the mover motors died, but I dropped it off at an auto electrician who charged me R400 to service it and gave it back in working condition. 3 years down the line and no further issues. We camp at least once per month.

Only drawback is that the Ewiks is quite noisy during operation and you need a decent capacity battery that can handle the large amp draw.  I run a 70Ah battery and when  back at home the van is permanently plugged in to allow the battery to stay in top condition.

Other brands might be quiet or have a wireless remote, but at the end of the day nothing beats the convenience irrespective of brand.

If you can find the budget, go for it, you will not be sorry.

Profile Photo
    Dave Pineo
    Dave Pineo on

Absolutely – money well spent especially as you get older (into the retirement years). Even on my small Sherpa Tiny Rough Roader it is indispensable – have you ever tried to move your caravan by yourself in a tight area to park it at home or a small area in a campsite surrounded by trees, etc ?

Dave Pineo

Windhoek, Namibia

davepineo52@gmail.com

Profile Photo
    Reinhard Hettasch
    Reinhard Hettasch on

Hi Mike, now you have opened a new discussion. No, I have not considered because I did not know of something like this. Could you please share more details – make, price, etc. Thanks.

Profile Photo
    Mike Louw
    Mike Louw on

Hi, the price of my mover is R6500.00. The name of the product is OLD MAN CARAVAN MOVER. This price excludes a 70ah battery, and is ex my workshop in Hillcrest KZN. Courier charge is extra. I have been in the engineering industry for more than 50 years. Being an avid caravan enthusiast, and being over 70 years of age, I decided to design and build a mover to make life easier. I build the movers myself to order, lead time +- 10 working days from date of payment to despatch.

I have thoroughly tested the mover and improved it for over a year and it perfectly serves my needs.

It is designed for use on normal firm surfaces, as in caravan parks, and not more than 5 degree gradient,to easily move your caravan single handed, allowing your spouse to make you coffee or pour you a cold beverage whilst you park your caravan.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me on 0829594145, or mail me oldmanafricaeng@gmail.com.

If you would like a photo, please send me a whatsapp number and I will send to you. Have not yet fathomed how to get it on this site. Pre 1950 BBC

Best regards

Mike

Profile Photo
    Hendrik Els
    Hendrik Els on

Hi.  I had a PowerTouch installed on my Regal in 2013 in since then had no problems and parking is a breeze.  Cannot go with it anymore and worth every cent spend on it.

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Also have the Ewiks installed. Works ok and better than pushing the van around….

Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

Before I lay down my hard-earned randelas I like to do diligent research about what I’m buying. I looked at all of the caravan-moving systems available, from the real backyard stuff to the incredibly expensive, and had decided upon ewiks as the best value for money when, by happy coincidence, I upgraded to a larger caravan that had ewiks already fitted. And fitted professionally by a dealer, no less.

What a joy to not have to start your holiday heaving and shoving this impossibly heavy box into position. And worse is to come when you leave – there’s plenty of eager helpers in the family when you arrive, but when it’s time to go back home everybody is content to sit in the car and watch you strain your guts out extracting the van from where they were quite happy to help you park it. Then you start the drive home hot, sweaty and with muscles trembling from overuse.
    Now, with ewiks my joy was complete, or almost complete. Ewiks lacks only one thing, and that’s a remote control. Kyle, Erik’s son directed me to someone that makes an aftermarket remote system for their movers, which makes it vastly more convenient to use. I now find I get twice or three times the enjoyment from my caravan because I use it a lot more often. The remote system works on a mobile phone and has its own thread somewhere else on this forum, but it’s easy enough to find if you Google ‘ewiks remote control’.

None of this stuff is exactly cheap, but if you buy right you buy only once, and your caravan’s resale value increases accordingly if you buy reputable equipment. For me a caravan without ewiks is only half a caravan.

Profile Photo
    EXPO CAMPER
    EXPO CAMPER on

Simon, you trying to sell Ewiks too much maybe? All movers I have seen, fitted professionally or not, have their weaknesses. The remote control is the least of my concerns..

Movers get damaged.

Their gears do break.

Their motors do fail.

Their fuses blow.

They can slip easily.

They do have various limitations and setbacks.

Having an Ewiks on my caravan as well, I use it a lot and myself working on some caravans, I get the opportunity to use other movers as well……..

So, yes, the more expensive ones have their benefits, especially auto engaging, where the Ewiks has to be manually engaged, and that itself has limitations and setbacks. Sometimes you have to oil those things a lot to let them run smoothly and click into their lock positions nicely.. So there are struggles.

I had an Ewiks mover motor fail to work, opened and saw the soldering on the motors, and then you realize the chinese motor setbacks in quality. Maybe they’ve changed it, maybe not.

There are also issues of fuses blowing while using the Ewiks.. That I had 3 times in December 2018 now and had to drive out to get more fuses before I could move my van further.

Now, the Ewiks is dead cheap vs other movers. And for good reason. It is simple, easy, and yes, it is a mover and better than nothing. But it doesnt always work. And I will guarantee you a larger caravan packed for holiday is going to struggle.

It is not the best solution, but it is a solution.

Some of the more expensive movers with their expensive electronics, have limitations too, and they also slip on the tyres, just like Ewiks will and does at some stages. Wet grass is the biggest enemy and small climbs like a paving brick, you wont always be able to get it over that flat brick.

BUT, for 90% I suppose of the time you can have the satisfaction of having a mover and any mover has its benefits and setbacks.

If you don’t have the money, go for the cheaper versions and accept the limitations, if you do have the money, try and get the best you can.  If your van is heavier than 1400kg, I suggest starting to look at something bit stronger….

With the pleasures of the mover in my van, it also gives my headaches at stages. Especially when you have run out of spare fuses and your van is kinda stuck and cant move it without the mover…

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)