Subscribe

Caravan mover

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Blazer
    Participant

Hi All
    I am contemplating the fitment of a caravan mower to my caravan. I have done some research and it seems that there is not a lot of variety in our market. Can anyone tell me if it is worth the money to install a caravan mover? If you have a mover on your van what is the issues that you experience with the mover? Any guidance will be appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    DorothyK
    DorothyK on

We had a mover installed on our caravan when we bought it – it was the best thing that we could have done!
    Previously with our old caravan it would take us up to 2 hours to get the caravan into our property, turn it around and move into the parking space, this maneuver was complicated after a long holiday if the grass was long!
    These days it takes us 5 minutes to move it in with the mover – it works like a charm! (its like a remote control car – only much bigger!)

We’ve even used it when we get to camp sites where it is difficult to get onto the site or where there is no help to move the van.

The only negative element that I can add is that the jockey wheel tends to take a hammering – we have in the 4 years that we have had the mover, already had to replace the jockey wheel.

Profile Photo
    Francois Huysamen
    Francois Huysamen on

Hi @dorothyk

We’ve had some more responses to your question on our Facebook page. Take a look at what some of our other online fans have to say here: http://www.facebook.com/caravanoutdoorlife/posts/1323017724383422

Profile Photo
    Ronnie2
    Ronnie2 on
    DorothyK wrote:
    We had a mover installed on our caravan when we bought it – it was the best thing that we could have done!
    Previously with our old caravan it would take us up to 2 hours to get the caravan into our property, turn it around and move into the parking space, this maneuver was complicated after a long holiday if the grass was long!
    These days it takes us 5 minutes to move it in with the mover – it works like a charm! (its like a remote control car – only much bigger!)

We’ve even used it when we get to camp sites where it is difficult to get onto the site or where there is no help to move the van.

The only negative element that I can add is that the jockey wheel tends to take a hammering – we have in the 4 years that we have had the mover, already had to replace the jockey wheel.

Profile Photo
    pieterpje
    pieterpje on

I had a mover installed on my Penta. My wife was not able to help me move the caravan at the time and to get it into the yard was always a big thing. The best decision ever. I have sold the Penta and bought a Splash and had one i8nstalled and I just sold the Splash and bought a Sensation and again with a mover. This helps to get into tight spots and no sweat. All in all best money ever spent.

Profile Photo
    Hettasch
    Hettasch on

What are the makes or models that all of you have installed?

Profile Photo
    Wayne Gould
    Wayne Gould on

Hi

We had an Evolution Auto fitted in our Fleetline in January 2018, with a battery.

Have since travelled from Cape Town to KZN and used it often. We could not do without it – even moved the caravan uphill on its own from one site to the next without any issues.

The wireless remote control is great and easy to use.

The mover is expensive but highly recommended.

Profile Photo
    Mike Louw
    Mike Louw on

Have you thought of an electric jockey wheel. Very light, very easy to install and  use

Profile Photo
    Nardus Bothma
    Nardus Bothma on

I bought the Ewiks mover for my Penta more than a decade ago.  Later when I upgraded to a Classique I bought new fitment brackets and moved the movers to the new van.

Swambo would have given up camping years ago if it was not for the movers.  Since camping is a team sport that would have meant the end of camping for me too.

Not cheap, but a marriage saver if you enjoy camping.

Whether you have a tricky driveway or a tight parking spot, the mover gives you precision control to get it in and out by yourself….effortlessly.

After investing in a decent carport a mover is definitely the next must have.

In ten years of regular usage one of the mover motors died, but I dropped it off at an auto electrician who charged me R400 to service it and gave it back in working condition. 3 years down the line and no further issues. We camp at least once per month.

Only drawback is that the Ewiks is quite noisy during operation and you need a decent capacity battery that can handle the large amp draw.  I run a 70Ah battery and when  back at home the van is permanently plugged in to allow the battery to stay in top condition.

Other brands might be quiet or have a wireless remote, but at the end of the day nothing beats the convenience irrespective of brand.

If you can find the budget, go for it, you will not be sorry.

Profile Photo
    Dave Pineo
    Dave Pineo on

Absolutely – money well spent especially as you get older (into the retirement years). Even on my small Sherpa Tiny Rough Roader it is indispensable – have you ever tried to move your caravan by yourself in a tight area to park it at home or a small area in a campsite surrounded by trees, etc ?

Dave Pineo

Windhoek, Namibia

davepineo52@gmail.com

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)