Subscribe
Register | Log in

Caravan movers on double axle

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Franz ReichhartParticipant

Is it true that a mover on a twin axle caravan does not work too well? I have been told turning is a problem.

Also wood like some input regarding movers available and how good they are. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Any vehicle with 4 non-steering wheels will pay the penalty of friction in a turn. Friction that increases exponentially as the radius shortens. You learn quite quickly to plan for shallow, gentle turns, and you can always assist with a bit of a shove where needed.

On the other hand having 4 wheels means you can fit 4 motors, which means an Exclusive has the same weight/motor ratio as a very light sub-1000kg caravan. Which is a huge advantage and far outweighs the downside, being the cost of 2 extra motors, larger batteries and 4 motors to engage/disengage from the wheels.

Profile Photo
    Owen Ball
    Owen Ball on

Hi Franz,

Hope I can be of help, as I started with one set of movers Eric if I recall, but on zig zag paving up-to my garage they just could not cope with the load.

My solution was to fit Four Purple movers primarily because the motors all drive together when turning, just the inner movers turn slower than the outer movers, hence the differential effect.  The movers from Purple are just great and their service is outstanding

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

Recently out of testing is our MotorPac and MotorPac X4 4-wheel extension, available for selected applications.

It offers:

• Integral remote control via mobile phone,
    • Manual switch control backup,
    • Circuit breaker protection,
    • Electronic current limiting and display on mobile,
    • Current ramping (SoftStart)
    • Differential powered turns, 2 and 4 wheel (ComboTurns),
    • Inch Mode micro-movements,
    • Motor temperature monitoring and display on mobile (optional),
    • Two water tank flow meters (optional), resettable from mobile
    • Caravan battery voltage display on mobile.

Profile Photo
    Deon Jacobs
    Deon Jacobs on

How much current can your device supply per motor node?

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

The current to all motors is limited to 30A. I don’t see this being increased at any time in the future.

Profile Photo
    Pierre Lieb
    Pierre Lieb on

Hi Franz

I am also new to the double axle operations, but if you plan a “long turn” it seems as if my Ewiks movers are coping well. The shorter and sharper the turn, the more friction you will find.

I did have Ewiks movers on my Fleetline and now on the Exclusive and are very happy with the brand. Have not experience any problems but it is said that if the controls can give you problems, you can buy replacements at the bicycle shop around the corner and not have to import the more impressive wireless remotes.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

preloader