Subscribe

Caravan bounce at very low speed+- 5-10 km/hour

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Jannie Louw
    Participant

Hi, I am at my campsite at the moment with my full tent erected. On my arrival at the resort I decided to go around the camping area anti clockwise on a tar road to our site. after parking the van and setting up a gentleman came up to me saying that he noticed that my wheel was behaving strangely as if it was bouncing. I never established which wheel he was talking about, neither did I take much notice of what he looked like, so i am unable to go back to him to try to find out which wheel or if in fact he was referring to both the wheels. I have since checked all the wheel nuts and they have been talked correctly. I did replace the wheel bearings DIY over two years ago before going on a 3 month trip of over 12000 kms. with no issues with these bearings. I cant see anything visibly wrong. Towing here went well, no vibrations and no noticeable leaning to one side of the van. I am obviously concerned, thinking that maybe my shocks are damaged on our Gypsey Regal 2007. I have had a good few modifications done prior to our long trip with now towing issues. Subsequent to then I have had an Air conditioner fitted to the rear of the van and also fitted my spare tyre to a bracket just below the Aircon unit at the rear of the van. Incidentally, the full size fridge which used to be to the rear of the van, in fact to your right side as you enter the door, which is at the left rear of the van. This  has been re positioned to directly above the wheel arch on the right side of the van. (Opposite side). I feel the weight has been evenly compensated as most of the cupboard space (groceries) are above the other wheel arch. Also when packing the van most things are packed under the bed( tent etc.) which is in front of the wheel axle. Other items like chairs are packed on top of the bed and a few items like the Ice machine, and convection oven (Sunbeam) very light,are placed on the floor at the foot of the bed.

After this lengthy explanation, is there anything i should try lookout for before we travel home? Fortunately we are less than 40 kms from home.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

• Profile Photo
    Riaan Louw
    Riaan Louw on

Hi Jannie.Have you checked your tyres for a flat spot maby.

Profile Photo
    Jannie Louw
    Jannie Louw on

Hi, It looks like it could have been a optical illusion. On checking I noticed a bubble on the left tyre. Could this be a factory fault? Tyres are only two years old with 12000 km on them. Goodyear bakkie type tyres recommended by the tyre fitment company.

Thanks for responding, Riaan.

Profile Photo
    Nick Smith
    Nick Smith on

Jy sal daai band met die bubble dadelik moet vervang, want hy gaan bars. Dit gebeur gewoonlik as jy ‘n slaggat tref of ‘n klip. Mens herstel nooit ‘n band wat sykant-skade het nie. Soms gebeur dit ook dat die draad binne die band breek dan maak dit ook ‘n knop (Bubble).

Skokbrekers wat klaar is veroorsaak dat ‘n wiel hop. Jy sal dit maklik weet as die band op die loopvlak sulke plat kolle kry.

Profile Photo
    Jannie Louw
    Jannie Louw on

Thanks a lot Nick, I will replace the tyre. I think like you say sidewall damage is a no no.

Profile Photo
    Clarence
    Clarence on

Jannie you mention that the tyres are 2years old, does this mean you now have it on the caravan for 2years from date of purchase? What is important is the date of MANUFACTURE! On the tyre wall there is a small patch where the manufacture date of the tyre appears…it shows week of manufacture and year eg 1718 read this as week 17 in the year 2018. Sometimes when you go to a dealer he will give you whatever is on the shelf but you should check that the tyre is no older than say 2 years from date of manufacture. Right now, it is week 27 in the year 2019 so you should be looking for a tyre marked by manufacture date of 2717 for exactly 2years old and take note that 2617 or 1516 is older and 2817 is younger.

Attachments:
    Profile Photo
    Jannie Louw
    Jannie Louw on

Many thanks I will go and check right now 2315. So they sold me old tyres. I will speak to them. Fortunately I know the owner. Thanks for your help.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)