Subscribe
Register | Log in

CAN I SHORTEN THE ‘A’ FRAME?

Return to: Caravan Clinic

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew RodriguesParticipant

I have had to shorten my Skipper ‘T’ A-frame by 150mm for it to fit in my garage, and this has now caused the nose weight to be too heavy. I want to move the axle forward by about the same amount to counter this weight problem.

I want to find out how the fibreglass mudguards are attached − if they are easily removable from the outside, moving the axle forward will not be a problem. I am trying to get the nose weight to the 50 kg mark. At the moment, it is at the 80kg mark.

• Profile Photo
    godfrey
    godfrey on

The last thing we would recommend is shortening the A-frame.

The minimum articulation published in the Government Gazette No. 97 of 5 February 2010 specifies a clearance space of 1 metre from the centre of the towball to a position that is 30 degrees from a line drawn from the centre of the A frame to the front of the caravan (see the diagram).

Any modification of this nature will void the manufacturer’s warranty, and may not be acceptable to the insurance company should you ever have an accident.

Also, there is the relocation of the axle, which may possibly weaken the chassis if you are drilling more mounting holes, and also make it necessary to reset the Skipper’s brakes.

May we suggest that you get Skipper to do this modification so that you still have all the warranties in place?

Attachments:

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader