Subscribe
Register | Log in

Camping Fridges reviews

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Andy CampbellParticipant

Are there any up to date reviews available for best options for camping fridges please?

• Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

Fridges with adequate free flow ventilation don’t need forced flow ventilation.  The proof of that is found in kitchens around the world.

Forced flow ventilation may require more than 2 muffin fans slapped onto a grille, or not.  The results speak for themselves.

Profile Photo
    Johan Wessels
    Johan Wessels on

You are right kitchen fridges around the world are in the main compressor fridges and being inside they will not be subjected to ambient temperatures over 30 Degrees C, hence why natural ventilation is adequate In anycase, the operation of a compressor fridge is totally different to the operation of an absorption fridge.

Absorption fridges rely on heat to operate whilst compressor fridges dont.

Oh and by the way they are not muffin fans but are three computer fans which are used world wide and even space craft use these same fans.

So can you explain to me why when the ambient temperature is above 30 Degrees C the temperature inside my freezer of my absorption fridge will not go below -1 DegreeC BUT when I switch the three fans on the temperature after one hour is again back to -8 to -10 Degrees C

That my dear friend is the proof and you are welcome to come and see it at anytime.

Profile Photo
    Simon Tasman
    Simon Tasman on

Back in the 1970s when computers were room-sizes things and required powerful aircons to keep these rooms cool there were fans placed strategically within the various units to circulate the ventilation. These were called muffin fans.

That’s when we’d be called out at 3am to fix a machine at chip level that had to operate 24/7, in modern parlance, to pay its rent.

Not many people still around that use the term ‘muffin fan’.

Separates the men from the boys, so to speak.

As to your question: I suggest the free-flow ventilation should have been designed a bit better by the caravan builder, who probably also hasn’t passed Physics 101

Profile Photo
    Dan Perkins
    Dan Perkins on

My caravan mover remote control now has a digital thermometer that displays on my cell phone the temperature behind my fridge. A new gadget on offer from them that costs less than R200.

Any time it gets too warm back there I switch on the fan and watch the temp come down.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

It looks like there’s more than one caravan with a poorly ventilated fridge compartment out there.

We’ve added an option to connect and monitor 2 digital heat probes. They have a measuring range from -55C to 125C which makes them suitable for monitoring spaces that may get hot – like the fridge compartment and the aircon condenser area.

They can attach to even our entry-level ewiks control, though it requires an upgrade to the controller’s firmware and needs a single additional connector fitted, since both probes multiplex into one incoming cable. You can start with one probe and add another later without modifying the controller again.

The basic ewiks remote control unit can also accept two water tank flow sensors as well as a single gas cylinder weight monitor. The battery voltage measurement is standard equipment across the range.

Profile Photo
    Alda Matavele
    Alda Matavele on

I have 2 questions:

Will I be able to measure the temperature inside my fridge?

Why does the app I download from the website look different from the picture in the post above? Half the stuff is missing?

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

To get the probe into the fridge without compromising the door seal you will need to drill a 7mm hole into the fridge cabinet from behind. Not a particularly difficult job, but there’s quite a few thing that could go wrong. You can get free-standing thermometers that can be placed inside the fridge without any risk, and then you can check the temperature any time you open the fridge door. Maybe that would be a safer option for you.

On the other hand there is no easy way to read the temperature in the cabinet behind the fridge, which is why people pay good money for this solution, not to mention the fans etc that are needed to improve ventilation.

To avoid cluttering the screen with useless objects we only display those parameters which are reported on by the remote control unit. Years ago when the focus of the system was limited to remote control of ewiks movers, there was nothing else to display.

Now however ewiks constitutes less than 10% of what the app potentially can do so it makes sense to only display meaningful data. We only publish one version of the app – one that serves all the features because it is easier to maintain, for us and the users.

When you download the app and run it without any control unit connected we only display the bare bones, which is enough for you to judge whether the app will run successfully on your phone. (We don’t know of any phone where it doesn’t run successfully, but don’t take our word for it.)

Profile Photo
    Alda Matavele
    Alda Matavele on

From the fridge’s point of view the most important temperature is at the output of the condenser, i.e. the cold (and lower) end of the topmost pipe – the one with the cooling fins on it. According to my understanding the temperature at that point determines what the temperature inside the fridge is going to be, and that’s where you could usefully monitor the system.

But after some thought I decided to put the heat sensor on the inside of the upper vent grille, because that tells me how much above ambient it is at that point and how much benefit there would be from improved ventilation.

I did some calculation on how much air has to pass through that grille for the fridge to function properly, and it’s a huge amount. Ideally there should be a door the same size as the fridge in that outer wall, which can be opened while the caravan is stationary and closed only for transit.

Profile Photo
    Fyko
    Fyko on

It’s surprising how well the absorption fridge in my Classique works despite the poor ventilation. Of course most people are happy when they see ice in the freezer compartment – but the ice only tells you it is below zero in there, whereas you hope it is at -20C.

The good news is that there is probably a direct-fit replacement compressor fridge – one that is the exact same size as your absorption model, and will fit in the same space without requiring any modification. It seems Dometic has also seen the writing on the wall and converting their range to compressor technology while there is still time.

For my caravan it is tDometic model number RCD 10.5XT. There’s no dealer in SA at this point and the UK prices are on the (very) steep side

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

This website uses cookies and other data to function optimally see our privacy policy here

preloader