Subscribe

Automatic or Manual

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Joe Robbertse
    Participant

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. I would like to know which is preferred, specifically on a turbodiesel vehicle. I am leaning towards automatic as the the first two gear ratios require some activity to get up to speed but then on the open road the manual is maybe better. the second consideration is that a clutch replacement can be pretty expensive on some vehicles while that is circumvented with an automatic.

• Profile Photo
    Clarence
    Clarence on

On your first question I cannot advise because that depends on personal preference and vehicle capability. However , on the second question regarding replacement, clutches are by far cheaper to replace than some of the more recent gearboxes used in vehicles. A clutch gives the driver more control w.r.t. slippage during gear changes and acceleration AND the tendency of drivers to keep a vehicle stationary by slipping the clutch when stopped on a slight incline at traffic lights (as an example) are the major causes clutch wear. By the way, the last time I replaced a clutch was on my 1981 Alfa Sud when I was much younger and still into spinning wheels. Also owned 3 automatic cars – two of which required gearbox overhauls…and it was expensive!

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)