Subscribe
Register | Log in

Ask away

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    DennisParticipant

I will be able to assist with any DIY questions you may have.
    I will not have all the answers, but will certainly try.
    Ask away.

• Profile Photo
    jakespearo
    jakespearo on

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the offer of help!
    I have a ’92 Gypsey Caravette 5.
    The electrical system is (what I assume to be) standard. The 220v plug runs into this charger unit:

From the charger unit it splits in various directions into the caravan.
    I have a 220v plug point and my fridge runs permanently off 220v.
    The lights, however, are 12v which I assume run off the battery:

The problem I am having is that the battery is not getting charged anymore, so my lights don’t work, even when the caravan is plugged into the mains.
    My fridge and plug point work 100%.
    I have had the battery tested and it is function fine.

My first question is:
    Am I missing something important or is the likelihood that my charging unit is faulty?

Secondly:
    If I wanted to convert my caravan to just run off 220v, would it simply be a case of removing the charger and battery, replacing light units to 220v units and maybe re-wire?
    I’m not an electrician but am fairly handy so am keen to tackle this myself…

Appreciate any input on this that I can get!!

Profile Photo
    Dennis
    Dennis on

jakespearo,
    The first to check is the fuses, there are 3 on your unit, marked “Refrig”.”Battery”,”Charger”, There is also one on the battery itself in the black plastic holder. I also see a fuse on the image is a white plastic holder.

Please keep to the same amp rating if you replace the fuse. If the fuses are good, check the voltage on the battery with the charger on. is should be 13,5 or higher.
    If all of these fail than it seems the charger itself might be faulty. You can have it repaired or buy a new one at a JurgensCI dealer.
    To convert to 220v AC only, you will still need a 220V DB, with earth leakage and a breakers for the 220 equipment. (very important) Than you can buy a AC-DC converter that will convert 220volt AC to 12V DC, it should also contain 12v fuses. you can wire your 12volt lights to this device.

Let me know if this all does not make any sense.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the Caravan and outdoor industry.

preloader