Subscribe
Register | Log in

Advice on Small Caravan + Towing Vehicle

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Callie TheronParticipant

As an older couple, we are thinking of moving from a bakkie mate to a small 2 to 3 berth gravel road caravan… Any suggestions?  would also appreciate suggestions on a Towing vehicle that is not too big, we don’t really want anything as big as a double cab. We would appreciate and suggestions

• Profile Photo
    Brian Hibberd
    Brian Hibberd on

I am also a Sprite Scout fan and would certainly  have considered one if it would fit into my Garage without having to change wheels every time I moved it in or out. Nice Van.

Profile Photo
    Johan Simons
    Johan Simons on

Hello, Callie & Brian

I did my research for a suitable camper/caravan with about the same specification as Brian, also impressed with the Sprite Scout and also bought a Skipper Oyster for the same reasons.

My wife and I are very pleased with this value for money option and enjoy every day we can camp; hoping to soon be allowed again, after lockdown!  We find the Skipper Oyster is the way to go for pensioners still wanting to (caravan-)camp, but with minimum ‘stuff’ en effort.

Geniet jul soektog, Callie…skakel my gerus met jul vrae.

Profile Photo
    Callie Theron
    Callie Theron on

Thanks so much for your input Johan, we’ve been looking at the gypsey rascal…. It’s seems to be the perfect size for two and very light. We looking at something that you can pull into a site for the night and use with no fuss.

Profile Photo
    Johan Simons
    Johan Simons on

Hi, Callie.    My pleasure.

I’m glad that you thoroughly research your options. You are 100% right: everyone has his/her specific needs, preferences and constraints.   Our Skipper Oyster also meets the ‘no fuss’ criteria, and is even lighter than the Rascal; thus very easy to handle alone, although I am 70.

Good luck and happy camping!

Profile Photo
    Callie Theron
    Callie Theron on

Thanks so much for your input Johan it is much appreciated… Now to find a rascal 😁

Profile Photo
    Jaco de Lnage
    Jaco de Lnage on

Hallo Callie,

I am also leaning towards a Rascal. It seems to tick all our boxes, but it is actually difficult to find one!

Have you eventually found one? With the lock down, it was difficult to travel, and most probably you will only now in August start looking?

Veilig wees, pasop vd virus, dit het my en my vrou die hele Junie vasgevat!

Jaco.

Profile Photo
    Brian Hibberd
    Brian Hibberd on

Greetings Jaco,

I think the Sprite rascal is a great van, slightly heavier than the scout but with a better layout, every one who owns one seems very happy, maybe that’s why there are not many being advertised for sale.

The one concern I have with this model is , I have read a few reports about the weight on the ball being unexplainably high, not by one or two kilos but way above the legal limits.  Legally the “ball weight” should be between 25 Kg and 100 Kg. Some have reported that using the accepted method of checking with a bathroom scale, they had readings of in excess of 125 kg.

Further they have been unable to improve the situation by changing the loading of the caravan.

I have no personal experience of this, but think it is worth checking up on before buying.

Good luck and Stay safe.

Profile Photo
    ruth derham
    ruth derham on

Hi,Im also looking for advise on a small van for single. Im 74 F single camper.
    Love my toyota Stallion Cub 1800 petrol motorhome 1998 model, which Ive toured throughout SA solo with but now its been retired to local tar 100lk radius trips from Jhb South. Its so reliable, but rocks and rolls, rattles and shakes on gravel is noisy and slow. But I still do love her.

I ve graduated to driving a 2018 model Peugoet 2008 TDI SUV, fast and economical, but can only tow up to 750 GVM. Planning soon to retire and visit Botswana, Namibia Zimbabwe Mozambique

Im searching for a 2nd hand small gravel friendly van with 15″ wheels, braked with sturdy suspension not older than 2010. R150,000 budget. must have xtras, be versatile for loading bike, accessories, jerry cans and water.

PLEASE can those with experience advise pros and cons of suitable models. price and where available of following :

Skipper Oyster :
    Peri Peri
    Scotty
    Sprite scout Nomad – (without pullout bed Is this reliable for gravel)
    Jurgens Safari Xcape.
    any other suggestions (SHerpa rough roadster perfect but so pricey)

Must be easy to put up awning alone against rain and sun for short overnight stops
    preferably with bed/dinette 12v.Fridge/freezer and space to cook inside for those rainy days
    with a tent for longer stops
    Now past the age and solo strength to consider rooftop tents!

So appreciate your advise,

Profile Photo
    Jan Venter
    Jan Venter on

Hi there.  We believe that the best trailers are the ones that don’t cost an arm and a leg, and is easy to set up and use.  We like this one – https://customcanopies4all.co.za/moremi-xlt/ – it’s small and really comfy.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

preloader