Subscribe

2005 Echo 4 trailer

Return to: Caravans, Motorhomes & Trailers

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Emma Poupard
    Participant

I am looking at buying a 2005 echo trailer.  It has loads of extras and upgrades but i am a bit worried about the age of the trailer itself. It looks in good shape but i am no expert.  What kind of things should i be checking in a trailer this old.  Any suggestions?

• Profile Photo
    Anton Fourie
    Anton Fourie on

I’ve never seen any corrosion on an Echo. The mattresses are good and structurally Echo’s are very sound. The wheel bearings might be in need of replacement, if it hasn’t been done before. The electric panels on the 2005 were very basic, but most owners upgraded them. The 2005 didn’t come standard with a pump, that might set you back quite a bit. The nose cone is not very practical to get a fridge in there. The corner stands are not very good and it is a mission to level the trailer on uneven ground. A good friend has an Echo 4 and he loves it, except for getting the tent cover back as it is very tight.

Profile Photo
    Peter Strauber
    Peter Strauber on

The age of the tyres must be checked. Also check the wheel bearings and ensure that the brakes work well. The Echo 4 is a very sturdy trailer and I love mine. It didn’t come with a lot of standard equipment  so extras will really enhance a very comfortable trailer. I’ve used my 2006 model now for 10 years and the only “issues” I had were wheel bearing failures. I removed the standard gas stove as I found that cooking breakfast require a lot of cleaning to be done on the inside of the trailer. The plastic “saddle bags” are a pain, a sturdier option will be a big improvement. I’ve added proper corner jacks to make it easier to level the trailer.

Profile Photo
    Robert Anderson
    Robert Anderson on

I can only echo (excuse the pun!) the two replies. We bought a 2005 Echo 4 in 2016 and have so far had great trips with it through Mozambique, Botswana and Namibia. Over December we toured the Northern Cape, including the Richtersveld, and the trailer behaved as well as ever. The bed is comfortable, there’s adequate space for your camping equipment  and it tows well for its size. What to look for:

• Wheel bearings (always have a spare set and tools to replace it)
    • Check the bolts on the coupler regularly

We were fortunate as we bought it with a pump, 40 liter Engel fridge and solar regulator. So far we had to replace a corner stand that came loose and was bent beyond repair, a lost tail light and the batteries. We’re adding a gas geyser next and also a custom awning as the standard awnings are a pain to set up.

Take the Echo for a weekend (if possible) and go try it – you won’t be sorry!

Profile Photo
    Peter Strauber
    Peter Strauber on

Hi Peter, I also had the issue with the coupler bolts. Why Echo doesn’t use nylock nuts is beyond me! As for the corner steadies, replace them with proper Alko jacks – a level trailer is so much nicer! The only other thing I dislike is Echo’s “service”, I found their Cape Town branch to be on the ball though. Fortunately I do the little maintenance required myself.

Profile Photo
    Robert Anderson
    Robert Anderson on

Thanks, I will certainly look into adding the jacks. I saw pictures on 4x4community of aluminium chequer plate saddle bags that will be a huge improvement on the tupperware it currently has. Where are you adding the geyser so it’s out of harm’s way? I never dealt with Echo, so their service  or lack thereof  is not an issue to me

Profile Photo
    Peter Strauber
    Peter Strauber on

I’m having a custom nosecone made so the fridge will be on a slider as it is a mission to work from the top. The geyser will be mounted on the front of the nosecone. A cover will protect it while travelling. I did a search for the saddle bags, and I’m very keen to get the same on mine.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)