Turn that lockdown frown upside down with a top-quality burger created right there in your kitchen, or when you go on your next camping trip. These recipes were provided by the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association and there is even a Vegan-friendly as well as a Vegetarian option you can try.
DOUBLE MUSHROOM CHEESEBURGERS
- 4 big mushrooms
- 5ml oil
- 15ml bbq sauce
- salt and milled black pepper
- 2 beef or chicken burgers, cooked
- 2 cheese slices (optional)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- a few lettuce leaves
- 30ml mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Lightly brush the mushrooms with oil, bbq sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes and baste with the bbq sauce.
- Turn the mushrooms over and baste again.
- Bake for 5-7 more minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Use the mushrooms as ‘buns’ and fill with a burger, slice of cheese (optional), red onion slices, tomato slices, lettuce, and mayonnaise.
- Serve at once.
NUT-STUFFED MUSHROOMS BURGER
- 5 fresh Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed (1 per person plus 1 extra mushroom for the stuffing)
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Canola/Olive oil
- 60g mixed unsalted nuts (brazils***/hazelnuts/almonds/walnuts)
- 1 tbsp. margarine
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh herbs e.g. parsley, fennel, dill, chives
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the stems from the mushrooms and finely dice these along with one whole mushroom.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Finely dice the onion and crush the garlic cloves.
- Place the onion and garlic in a saucepan with the Canola/Olive oil and sweat them in the oil until the onion is soft and beginning to brown. Add the chopped mushroom stalks and sweat the vegetables for a few more minutes.
- Lightly toast the mixed nuts in a medium oven or grill and remove the skins.
- Grind the mixed nuts fairly finely in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle and add to the pan along with the margarine, dried herbs, fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine.
- Place the field mushrooms, stem side up, on a baking tray. Divide the mixture between the mushrooms and spread over the surface of each one.
- Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the tops are beginning to brown and the mushrooms are just cooked. Serve 2-3 mushrooms on each plate along with a salad garnish.
MUSHROOM LENTIL BURGER
- 1 tbsp. Canola/olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 regular or whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted and divided
- 400g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1x 400g tin lentils, drained
- 4 tsp. mustard, divided
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 30g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 ½ tbsp. canola mayonnaise
- ½ cup rocket
- Preheat the grill.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp. of oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- Place 1 bun in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Remove breadcrumbs from food processor; set aside.
- Combine mushrooms, lentils, 2 teaspoons mustard, and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) in food processor; pulse to combine.
- Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs, mushroom mixture, and eggs in a large bowl, stirring well. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1.5cm-thick patty. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add patties; cook for 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove patties from pan; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle patties evenly with cheese. Place under grill for 2 minutes or until cheese is softened.
- Combine canola mayonnaise and remaining 2 teaspoons mustard in a small bowl. Spread the top half of each of the remaining 4 buns with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise mixture.
- Top each bottom half of bun with 1 patty. Divide rocket evenly among burgers; top with top half of bun, mayonnaise-coated side down.