Treat your family to a taste sensation over the holiday season with this easy-to-make chicken tagine filled with mouth-watering goodness.
What you’ll need
• 400 g chicken thigh or breast, cut into cubes
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp (15 ml) harissa paste
• 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley (stalks roughly chopped, leaves finely chopped) • 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin seeds, whole or ground
• 1 tsp (5 ml) fennel seeds, whole or ground
• 1 stick cinnamon
• preserved lemon, if available, otherwise 2 thick slices of lemon, salted on both sides and left for at least 30 minutes
• 10 dried apricot halves, cut into quarters
• 10 dried peach halves, optional, cut into quarters
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 Tbsp (30 ml) oil
• ¼ cup (62.5 ml) water
Combine chicken, garlic, parsley stalks and harissa paste, mix well and put aside. Heat pan, add oil, cumin seeds and cinnamon stick. When the seeds start popping, add the chicken. Turn the chicken over once or twice before adding water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is 70% cooked. Add the remaining ingredients (except parsley leaves), stir a few times, cover and cook for a further 2–5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle the chopped parsley leaves over the dish. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
This recipe appeared in the July 2013 issue.